• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Silly Shit in the car business! Post your favorite!

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
Our industry is many times full of laughs, huge egos and sometimes straight up full of dumb shit.

I thought I would start a light hearted thread where we can all showcase or vent about something that either pisses you off or makes you laugh about our industry.

This is ALL in good fun. If you don't agree, have some thick skin and take it for what it is. Life it too short to allow your ego get the best of you...

I'll start of with this....

VIN_Google_baby.png

This is too funny. Seriously...who was sitting there and decided to say this and then thought it would tweet worthy? HAHA! Those VIN guys kill me.

I was 8 steps into the Dealer.com party at NADA before some VIN sales guy starts pitching me. I looked at him and said "are you serious?..I'm at a party and your going to approach me, not even know my name and hard pitch me? Get lost!" - gotta love the "passion" right!

So yeah - I have little hostility cooped up. But I'm over it now.

Reactions: 1 person
That definitely goes down as the greatest tweet of all time....this week at least.

When I showed it to someone this is what he had to say:

Someone said:
I prefer to read this as...

If two of the most evil companies on the planet who are totally in it for themselves and don't really care about their customers had a baby, it would be VinSolutions

And Since Google and Apple hate each other and would tear each other apart if they could, Vin would be the product of that broken abusive home, and would therefore most likely have grown up in less then positive circumstances and would probably be in Juvi by now.

I'm just sayin.

This one tops everyhthing....A salesman that I worked with "up'd" this pretty good looking lady. They went through the process in picking out a car and went on a test drive. They were gone for a good 2 hours. They came back and then she left in her car. The next day, she came in with her husband and went to the salesman and said, "I know what you did with my wife, so I want a great deal on this car." Well, he sold the car and made a $3500 payable and a good time.

This one tops everyhthing....A salesman that I worked with "up'd" this pretty good looking lady. They went through the process in picking out a car and went on a test drive. They were gone for a good 2 hours. They came back and then she left in her car. The next day, she came in with her husband and went to the salesman and said, "I know what you did with my wife, so I want a great deal on this car." Well, he sold the car and made a $3500 payable and a good time.
So no break on the car, huh? NICE! :lol:

Now this is silly:

gorilla_new_purple_with_duck_low.jpg

Exactly what this thread is! As I said we're not idiots! Agendas always show through. Now I can say that this "hate" probably comes from their being a great company with great ideas which other companies envy! (Although why Dealer.Com would be involved I don't know since they have their own strengths)

This is strangely passive aggressive for DR...

Why didn't you just start an "I hate VinSolutions" thread... lol

Bruce, you're probably right. Though it was not intended to come across that way - at least I don't think so. We sometimes maybe do things and not even realize what we're doing or how it will be viewed by others.

Heck - I've been personally slammed many times across other forums, including my own. I've received my fair share of emails when someone didn't agree with my views or opinions. I take it and move on.

I don't hate VIN. No reason to, though they do like to push the boundaries on sales pitches here in the forums. And I will admit that has a way of twisting me at times.

I'd believe if it were a huge slam on VIN, Matt would have spoken up. I'll apologize here if it was taken that way - it wasn't my intention. Funny thing..while typing this - 3 VIN staff members have quickly signed up on the forums. :)

At least you see how this could have been taken! That shows the quality of the person you are. It certainly came off wrong if your intent was humor!

Now back to silly things in the car business my favorite was when one of my fellow salespeople 20 years ago had his father come in to buy a car and he greeted his father by saying "Hi Dad My name is ... Nice to meet you. How can I help you today!"

Bruce, you're probably right. Though it was not intended to come across that way - at least I don't think so. We sometimes maybe do things and not even realize what we're doing or how it will be viewed by others.

Heck - I've been personally slammed many times across other forums, including my own. I've received my fair share of emails when someone didn't agree with my views or opinions. I take it and move on.

I don't hate VIN. No reason to, though they do like to push the boundaries on sales pitches here in the forums. And I will admit that has a way of twisting me at times.

I'd believe if it were a huge slam on VIN, Matt would have spoken up. I'll apologize here if it was taken that way - it wasn't my intention. Funny thing..while typing this - 3 VIN staff members have quickly signed up on the forums. :)