• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

ppenton

Green Pea
Apr 4, 2011
First Name
Phil
QR Codes... has this been a hot topic lately. I was never completely sold on QR codes. I look at my entire family and only my sister and I figured out how to use them. My father, for example, has a smart phone and if you asked him to scan a QR code, it might take a couple of hours for him to figure it out (the need to download an app is their biggest drawback in my opinion). My mother - I don't think she owns a smart phone, so she's out.

"But Phil, their old." Maybe they are. ;) But I'm a techie and so is my sister. We get it and we still don't use them, other than to say we gave it a try. If I look at my closest friends, they don't use them. They all have fancy smart phones and I bet only a few have the software installed. (Its probably because I told them how to do it).

I have always said text messaging is for the masses. It may not be cool or flashy... but you know, even my father and mother can text.

These articles put an interesting twist on the future of QR codes and NFC. Industry titan Google is stepping out of the QR Code game. I think that says something. Will they be the first of many? Most likely not, and QR Codes will stick around, but there may be better technology out there soon.

Google Kills Off Those Little Square Codes You Scan With Your Phone (GOOG)

Google Throws Its Weight Behind NFC - Tech Europe - WSJ

Google Ends QR Code Initiative - PCWorld

Guess we will see how it all works out. If you have any thoughts about QR Codes and their importance, please share them with me. I really want to like them ;)

Reactions: 1 person
I have Red Laser on my iPhone and every time I've scanned a QR code it has directed me to something that wasn't enticing to me (usually the company's home page). I can think of two instances, when I've scanned a QR code, that made sense:

1. Best Buy price tag/product description in the store. The QR code puts you on the product's Bestbuy.com details page with many more specs than can actually fit on that little price card in the store. Not brilliant, but useful for impulse shoppers such as myself.

2. At Texaco there was a QR code on the gas pump that said "scan me." I was bored while pumping gas, so I scanned it (by the way, aren't you not supposed to use cell phones near gas pumps?) and it put me on a "win such and such by filling out this form" page. I didn't fill out the form, but I bet it has some decent conversion.

The other 95% of the time a QR code scan hasn't landed me on anything that got me excited about QR codes.

On the other hand, we have discussed QR codes ad nauseam around the office. I'm sure you guys at HomeNet have as well. There are some interesting ideas for them, but how much do they really add to things.....I don't know. The jury is still out for me.

QR Codes... has this been a hot topic lately. I was never completely sold on QR codes. I look at my entire family and only my sister and I figured out how to use them. My father, for example, has a smart phone and if you asked him to scan a QR code, it might take a couple of hours for him to figure it out (the need to download an app is their biggest drawback in my opinion).
I'm with you as far as not being sold on them. They really smell of fad to me. That said I'd love to be proved wrong on this one.

But Alex, thanks so much for posting this. It gives me a great excuse to repost my favorite QR code video!

"...are you Amish?" never fails to crack me up!

I still think QR Codes have their place in our business, however it's just up to us to find a creative & engaging way to use them. There is a tool out there that just might have all the requisite components needed for an interactive QR code experience. It's called ShareSquare and I think it can be tailored to use.

"ShareSquare is a platform for connecting offline audiences with the bands and brands they love, through immediate calls-to-action and rich engagement on the mobile web, with real-time analytics"

It really is easy to use, and I put together this little nonsensical demo in about 10 minutes. Anyone want to give it a scan?

5590403374_9f3ec11124.jpg

How would you use something like this?

The only practical use I've seen for QR codes has been in real estate ... maybe. Seems like a fad, with limited niche adoption.
Down here, I've only seen one real estate sign with a QR code on it.

We put signs up in our waiting areas with a QR code for our Facebook page (on the mobile site, natch). That was February 15. Total scans since (according to our bit.ly analytics)? 15. Take out the testing clicks, and we're probably around a dozen in nearly two months. Might be our customer base, might be our area, might be the message...but those are what I've seen.

I think some of the best value in these codes is their ability to convey a lot of information without the user having to type a lot of keys.

Wouldn't it be useful to print one somewhere on a repair order or coupon that links to that customers next service interval? It could take them to a place where they adjust and confirm on the DMS -then save in their own calendar with an alarm all at once?

???

Reactions: 1 person