• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How can I get more (real) phone numbers in my leads?

Sean, everything I've spoken about here is about "Process," but everything you've "heard" is about price.

That's OK. It took a loooong time for me to "get it."

But if you are not happy with your results, you have a place here to reflect.

Thanks for the question!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I am going to jump in. I recently changed my templates to make my phone # more obvious. such as "if you have any immediate questions, my direct phone # is .... I'm sitting at my desk right now" ... later in the email " our website shows vehicles in stock or available to order from any of our 5 Honda dealerships. If you call me at 55555555 I will be happy to check availability and make sure the vehicle is warm and ready to go when you make your visit . Result ? Customers calling me directly have increased.

Another question is How do we get their zip codes. Many people want to hide their zip code, when it can matter how hard I fight for a deal. Of coarse we are doing the normal discovery. I'm thinking I may add it to our auto responder. Any suggestions ?

We often hear several times in this business that we forget as sales people to put yourself in the customers shoes.

If you were a potential buyer about to spend anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000 lets say on a vehicle purchase-can we not agree that this is a big decision for most people?

I am sure many of you have seen this post being shared on Facebook and Twitter:
salesfunny.jpg

It paints the perfect perception that most people think when they think "Car Salesmen". A customer naturally has that stereotype that a Car Salesman is going to take their money and rip them off.

A customer holds back giving all their information on an internet lead/inquiry because of FEAR. As a customer who has this instinctual fear of a "car salesman": an email is perceived to be much less personal than a phone call or having to speak to a car salesperson at the dealership in person-so they will put in to "contact via email only" with no phone number or a bogus phone number. Writing an email as a customer is a customer that is keeping all of their boundaries up-they are looking to buy a car, they just want to keep control of the situation and not be "hounded with calls" or "pushed into a sale by a pushy salesperson": they are going to keep as much control of the sales process they can by communicating only by email. By doing this the customer does not have to rush-and they can feel control of their buying decision because of FEAR.

It is our job…as was stated in this thread previously, to BREAK THAT BARRIER. We must give such a "wow factor", world class experience to our customers that we are no longer a "car salesperson". Aren't we in a business about personal relationships and do we take our careers as professionals?

As a committed, professional salesperson we need to break the impression this customer has of us and get THEM to respond. Get THEM to ONLY want to talk to you.
Get THEM to ONLY want to buy from you.
Brand yourself to them as a person they will like and trust.

Give them such a great first impression and build such a great relationship from the beginning that they are no longer focused on that FEAR. They are dependent upon you for all of their automotive needs and THEY will call you or email you for an appointment because they see the value in their purchase.

When at Sunset Honda, I quickly found "FIRST IMPRESSIONS" are huge in this business. An email is just words on a screen: there is no body language, tone inflection and there is lack of emotion for that matter:

Imagine instead of a canned email you got a personal video message like this:

When at Sunset Honda, I did this with every customer.
Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 5.17.00 PM.jpg

I made short videos anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes (for longer walkaround videos imbedded as well) and my response to these from customers were not only a complimentary email or phone call back-but an easy sale by the time these customers would meet me in person. I averaged about 21 cars a month and had a 20% closing ratio with internet leads.

This customer put in a fake bogus name, a fake phone number and only a valid email. After I sent him a video he replied with this:
Screen1.jpg

This is another customer who was an easy sale on a new Honda Fit.
Screen.jpg

Email is easier for the customer and they feel like they have control, which is why they often don't put their phone numbers in anymore of they will put fake ones.

The Phone is the next step up from an email-as we now have this customer on the phone and can gain control of expression and tone inflection over the phone.

However, the ultimate way of selling still goes back into the fact the the customer needs to BE AT THE DEALERSHIP. Here we have full control of the sale and it is the most personal.

It is our job to get them from an email-to a phone-into the store and to a sale.

To do this-break your stereotype. Create such a phenomenal first impression with video so that you can gain control of the sale. Customers want value with their purchase-with value is a good product they are purchasing and a great service (sales person)they are receiving with it.

Be The One.

Reactions: 6 people
Welcome Elise! I have been viewing your Youtube videos for some time now. The approach that you took at Sunset should be considered "best practice" at all forward thinking dealers. Quick question, what did you use to create and edit your video responses?

Video is absolutely something I want to get into. I use Autobase and the outdated-ness of it makes including Youtube videos in a 1st response email very difficult. I'm not sure there's even a solution.

I took over the BDC department at this dealership a year ago and have increased its units and gross about 50-60%. This dealership has had an established BDC for years now but it was never run correctly. Of all the veteran reps that were in here when I started, only 1 is left. Things are going well, but I'm never satisfied. So I wouldn't say that I'm not happy with the results, the results are good, but I am just always trying to improve and improve.