• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Websites made by a company that doesn't specialize in dealerships?

Developers are like any other people - there are all different types.
You don't have to hire neckbearded heavy-metal fans.

I didn't mean it as personality wise but as knowledge on time frames, code possibilities, language, etc. No different than spending a day at a law firm, architect, etc.

Everyone that I know has "ideas", translating those into something a team of programers understand and can build as well as managing the time frame of the entire process is harder than people think.

There will be some interesting things on the horizon to address your desire for differentiation, Spencer. As agencies play a larger role in the development of dealer web sites, the demand for custom "non-industry" work will begin to align with platforms that are flexible enough to accommodate cutting edge site design, while still managing the clusters of data feeds necessary to present richly optimized inventory. We've seen some prototypes that will shake up the idea that a dealer should ever have to choose any semblance of a template style solution again.

"Templates" or better said: similar forms of ecommerce, exist because the consumers we target are the same.

I don't know that I agree with this.
Similar forms of ecommerce to the extend that we have VLPs and VDPs.. sure.
I'm 100% supportive of busting out of the box in other areas.

How you find inventory, how that inventory is displayed, how that inventory is compared, how that inventory is browsed.. none of this needs to be standardized.

I don't know that I agree with this.
Similar forms of ecommerce to the extend that we have VLPs and VDPs.. sure.
I'm 100% supportive of busting out of the box in other areas.

How you find inventory, how that inventory is displayed, how that inventory is compared, how that inventory is browsed.. none of this needs to be standardized.

All that = high risk, investment, and effort.

Doing your own R&D is not easy.

All that = high risk, investment, and effort.

Doing your own R&D is not easy.

I know you have much experience, far more than I do, and I respect that.
That said, I don't understand how you can have this attitude when offering this service to your customers.

A/B Testing, running multiple sites, trying new things.. this is what we do as providers.
If you aren't going to take the risk, make the investment and put in the effort.. who is?

I'm not going to sit around and wait for Dealer.com to decide what's best and then copy that - we shouldn't all make sites that are the same, we shouldn't template all our stores into one standard layout and some CSS color changes and we shouldn't settle for what we have now.

I see far too much stagnancy in this industry already.

We've seen some prototypes that will shake up the idea that a dealer should ever have to choose any semblance of a template style solution again.

But that's what they are - prototypes :) There are many talented people at large industry website vendors that can churn out phenomenal work - but a lot of dealers don't care to pay for this. It's not something dealers are demanding. If eCommerce becomes more important to the industry then this is much more useful. For now, IMO this software/service is DOA.