• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Why is Video so difficult?

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
image.jpg

Recent article over on marketing charts states - Video considered Difficult, but Effective.

The study finds that videos are a particularly challenging content type to create, although respondents also see value in them.

Who isn't an advocate of video for content and personalize communication? But let's face it, it's not always easy. We've posted many articles over on the blog around how to utilize video and make it work for your dealership. It's why I'm a huge fan of, and consult with Walkaround Video by Authntk.

My question is, if you're not using video, why aren't you? What's your main obstacle in the way?

If you are using video, what tools or services are you using and what type of effective content are you producing/creating?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: timmydjames
If I'm on the phone with a customer and say "hey, I could make a quick video of the vehicle and text or email you", the customer always smiles over the phone and says "wow, that would be great".

I think it really comes down to the sales person taking the initiative & extra step to take a video with their phone. The video doesn't have to be "oscar quality" for the potential customer to see you are making the extra effort.

Last edited:
We do walk around Video for our customers, I would like to say every weblead gets one but all I think I can honestly say is about half of them get a walk around Video. We have multiple cameras that the sales person will use to make a personal video, our Internet Dept uploads them to youtube and we use Dealersocket's Youtube integration to send out an email with the video embedded. This is one of the first things we send to a internet prospect, in most cases we haven't made contact yet.

The integration feature on Dealersocket makes sure the customer does't see a bunch of other suggested videos from other dealers and keeps them pretty much on just their video. So you still get to post all your videos on Youtube for all the other good reasons.

Here is a link to a pretty standard video by one of our salespeople, not one of our best, but not the worst.

I find the hardest thing is just to get the sales people to do it and and them to do it well. They try to take shortcuts often, but most of them believe in them and customers love them.

we sometimes will send a customer multiple videos responding to questions and other things, but I leave that more up to the sales person to decided if it is necessary. I fully support it however and encourage it.

The dealers I work with love the idea but it gets lost in translation. I've always said, "Keep it VERY simple"; but it always turns into a Steven Spielberg discussion. Most feel it has to be like a TV commercial when really it needs to be short, show the car, hit the key spots (DVD, NAV) and if you can start it up.

We do walk around Video for our customers,

Here is a link to a pretty standard video by one of our salespeople, not one of our best, but not the worst.

Question to the DR community.
Reps need to tips on how to improve their videos. Does anyone make a best practice tutorial?

Customers like these vids because it's personal. They respond to them because no one else does this. If personal videos catch on and your competitors does this, you've lost your edge.

p.s. For me, that video was painful to watch. For the 1st 60 secs, I couldn't see the truck, all I saw was fenders. I had to wait for 45-60 secs to see the "hot options" on this truck.. "Power windows & locks, cruise..." ahhh, no mention of the moonroof or 4x4 or... ? Get in the truck, light up the engine and talk about how easy it starts & it's sounds. Show your customer the pilots view, the dash, the HVAC stack, show him the backup camera, open the moonroof!! His "Ford Certified Intro" would be a great close (i.e. why buy from me).

I agree with you totally Joe we are constantly trying to improve and push the sales people to put more effort into their videos.

I have made a best practice tutorial for my salespeople they always regress to a video like this (mostly my fault, I have to stay on them more because I honestly think most of them see the value in doing them). For me it kills me a little inside when they don't pull the vehicle out of the line. It doesn't bother me he talk about the CPO first in this situation, warranty may have been a hot topic for the customer.

P.S. Thanks for the feedback, I put this video up because I think it is the average, I have some great videos that I could shown but would do me any good to show off :)

Reactions: joe.pistell
It's hard to do walkaround videos when you're selling cars because it takes a lot of time. I've trained numerous salespeople and managers on walkaround processes at their stores. All love it at first, love seeing their videos on youtube getting some views, love when customers recognize them from a video they watched online, but very few every stick with it. Biggest reason is the lack of perceived value and return. If you're at a high volume 200+ units a month store, I'll bet you would not stick with it. The ramp up time to get good at it and get in a rhythm is too long, after a few weeks or months at the bottom of the board in sales most give up and concentrate on getting more ups.

However if you do have a boutique type of store, or you're at more of a niche dealership, it does work very well if you have a solid process and a team effort.

Check out Mid-towne Autocenter, they have a solid process down, a team effort, and have been doing great walkaround videos for years.
https://www.youtube.com/user/mtacautos/videos

upload_2015-3-18_10-4-47.png

Full Discloser, I run operations for Authntk Walkaround Videos.

Video and specifically Walkarounds don't have to take a lot of time or be a burden. In fact, the shorter and more simple the better. It's important to remember, you're not trying to sell the vehicle with the video. You're making a personal impression and showing your customer / prospect that you're willing to go the extra mile.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, you can send video! No uploading, editing, copying and pasting necessary. Takes a total of 2-3 minutes, and the customers have an email and/or sms in their inbox a couple minutes after. No need to send YouTube links either.

Reactions: Clay Toporski
It's hard to do walkaround videos when you're selling cars because it takes a lot of time. I've trained numerous salespeople and managers on walkaround processes at their stores. All love it at first, love seeing their videos on youtube getting some views, love when customers recognize them from a video they watched online, but very few every stick with it. Biggest reason is the lack of perceived value and return. If you're at a high volume 200+ units a month store, I'll bet you would not stick with it. The ramp up time to get good at it and get in a rhythm is too long, after a few weeks or months at the bottom of the board in sales most give up and concentrate on getting more ups.

However if you do have a boutique type of store, or you're at more of a niche dealership, it does work very well if you have a solid process and a team effort.

Check out Mid-towne Autocenter, they have a solid process down, a team effort, and have been doing great walkaround videos for years.
https://www.youtube.com/user/mtacautos/videos

View attachment 2399

Thank you for posting this. I watched a few of their videos. Very systematic approach. I was able to tell that they know what they are doing and what they are after.

I have a question about doing video walk-around presentations. Should I post these on my website, or should I do these if I have a customer that I am working with over the phone?

I can see the benefit of posting them on my website, and I can also see the down side of doing this. I often time wonder if I am creating a website that leaves absolutely NO reason for a customer to ever call me or drop in to browse through my inventory. They have every possible piece of information that they could want from my website. On the other hand, I would be the only one doing this in my market. It would certainly separate me from the others.