• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CDK DMS Access - Hostile Integration Warning

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
Here is a copy of the email that CDK likes to send out to dealers and vendors, I guess hoping to throw a bit of fear into them for using services to access CDK DMS for data so they instead use their CDK Dealer Data Exchange service.

----
Subject: CDK DMS Access - Hostile Integration

It’s come to our attention that XXX may be using hostile means to access data within the CDK Dealership Management System (DMS). We understand that data integration is important and want to provide secure, non-hostile means to retrieve it in an approved fashion.

You may have read in the press about our Security First initiative. Security First is focused on protecting our dealers, our brand, and consumers. As part of Security First, CDK has deployed the Dealer Data Exchange to CDK Dealers. Among other things, this technology provides the Dealer with unprecedented visibility (reporting) into what data vendors are accessing within the DMS and how they are accessing it (via an approved interface or hostile connection). XXX has come up as one of the top offenders for hostile integration.

I would like to invite you to discuss moving into an approved connection program ASAP.

What days/times later this week work for an introductory call?

Please let me know..

Kind Regards,

XXXX XXXXX
Data Center of Excellence
CDK Global LLC

----

Any CDK dealers or vendors receive this nice communication?

-

Reactions: DigitalCarguy
Is the CDK Dealer Data Exchange service free for vendors?
No. Their fees are in turn passed on to the dealer. While there is a cost for integration - the current structure by the dominant DMS providers is cost prohibitive to both dealers and vendors. This cost is currently being absorbed but it is preventing or slowing innovation in the space. However, if dealers and vendors don't push back - can you blame them?

Reactions: craigh