• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reynolds closes modem access?

Jarrett

Boss
Nov 24, 2009
First Name
Jarrett
Recently received a letter from Reynolds confirming their desire to eliminate inbound modem access. What are non RCI vendors doing for data access? I know DMI wants clients to install an application on the LAN that will poll data from the DMS.

PDF of letter can be found here

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think if you take a careful look at the letter, it doesn't state that they will terminate the modems but instead are asking the dealer to do so voluntarily. The client-side application at the dealership is a desirable answer for at least the near-term future. One of the Dominion companies, SelectQu, uses a similar piece of software to accomplish the same goal.

In any case, I do believe in the principles laid out by the Open Secure Access Group (www.opensecureaccess.com) and hopefully dealers and the industry will see the importance of this issue!

Has Reynolds and Reynolds gone too far?

We received a letter today from Reynolds and Reynolds that effective January 4th, 2010 all modem access to third party vendors will be turned off. That means we have to scramble now with all our vendors to find other ways to get the data to them. All during the Holidays and limited time. How's that for notice? Does anyone know other ways to push pre-owned data to Reynolds and Reynolds on an automated basis?:mad:

Re: Has Reynolds and Reynolds gone too far?

Unfortunately it's a global thing. All dealers are effected except Land Rover, Jaguar and Volvo. Every other dealer will no longer have inbound access via modems! Of course ReyRey is suggesting subscribing to the RPM Remote Client Access which is secure and supported by ReyRey. No mention of filling their pockets. The letter reads like they're doing us a favor!

I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum however if it helps someone I am glad to contribute.

Below is an example of how to extract Used vehicle inventory from Reynolds to XML and individual variables.

The code snippet below requires php scripting language and cURL libraries for the POST method HTTP request. Running this script returns complete used inventory in XML format. You will also need to add DNS to resolve erasv01 to your ERA boxes IP.

PHP:
/*
    ERA SOAP Veh Inventory View Example 
    JVK

9/13/07
*/

define(USER_AGENT, 'com.reyrey.ds.eai.xmppagent.DmsTxBasePost');

$post_data    =    '<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE TransmissionWrapper SYSTEM
"http://b2b.reyrey.com/dtds/ERA/TransmissionWrapper.dtd">
<TransmissionWrapper TransmissionID="'.time().'">
<TransmissionData><![CDATA[
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE ERAVehInvRequest SYSTEM "/vobs/era/sales01/j_src/com/reyrey/sales/dtd/ERAVehInvRequest.dtd">
<ERAVehInvRequest>
    <GenTransData OrigSysID="SALESFORCE" ProcSysID="XXXXXXXXXX"
            StoreNo="01" BranchNo="01" TransCode="VI" TransOpType="Query"
            TZ="PST" ClientId="SALESFORCE">
    <TransTimeStamp Date="'.date("m/d/Y").'" Time="'.date("H:i:s").'"/>
    </GenTransData>
    <QueryFields ERAAppl="sales" NeworUsed="U" StockNo="" VIN="" VehMake=""
                 VehModel="" Carline="" VehYear="" LowPrice="0" HighPrice="999999" />
    <OtherCriteria Name="NoRecordsToSuccess" Value="YES"/>
</ERAVehInvRequest>
]]></TransmissionData>
</TransmissionWrapper>';

$header_array[] = "Content-type: text/xml";

$ch = curl_init();

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, $header_array);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, true);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, 'http://erasv01:8100/salesbin/ServerVehInvView');
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, true);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, USER_AGENT);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $post_data);

$datum =     curl_exec($ch);
            curl_close($ch);

// Extract CDATA
$cdata_pos_1    =    strpos($datum, '<![CDATA[');
$cdata_pos_2    =    strpos($datum, ']]>', $cdata_pos_1);
$cdata_subs        =    substr($datum, ($cdata_pos_1 + 9), (($cdata_pos_2 - $cdata_pos_1) - 9)); 

echo $cdata_subs;

$xml     =    new SimpleXMLElement($cdata_subs);

print_r($xml);

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum however if it helps someone I am glad to contribute.

Below is an example of how to extract Used vehicle inventory from Reynolds to XML and individual variables.

The code snippet below requires php scripting language and cURL libraries for the POST method HTTP request. Running this script returns complete used inventory in XML format. You will also need to add DNS to resolve erasv01 to your ERA boxes IP.

This looks like a call to the RCI interface?

Recently received a letter from Reynolds confirming their desire to eliminate inbound modem access. What are non RCI vendors doing for data access? I know DMI wants clients to install an application on the LAN that will poll data from the DMS.

PDF of letter can be found here

Anyway I can get a copy of the letter sent to me? [email protected]

Sure would help me.

Thanks!

Anyone have updated information on what dealers are doing? Is this required or suggestion?

Lori Finney

We are on ADP but I am trying to find some information for my sister store?

On January 4th if any of your vendors access Reynolds ERA via modem they won't be able to anymore. If they are accessing it by installing software on your network or Reynolds RCI they should be fine still.