• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TAKE POLL Is Mystery Shopping your Dealership Enough? Good- Bad?

It's certainly not "enough." The question should be "Is it valuable?"

If it's the typical OEM shop, then no, it's probably not that valuable. If it's a shop that covers a longer period (like 1-4 weeks) and looks at all emails, voicemails and texts your team generates during that time, and provides you with written feedback from someone who is in dealerships every week, then I would say it's probably more valuable than most everything else the dealership is doing to evaluate their internet lead response.

Reactions: Stefan
I, too, feel like mystery shopping of dealers (while potentially insightful) isn't the best method to learn of pitfalls in the lead process. While Jon's article discusses the importance of phone scoring (and coaching those scored calls, which I fully agree with), the same must be done for Internet leads. I am not concerned with the occasional OEM shops (though, admittedly, I don't think they focus on the right criteria always, nor do they have intuitive people completing said shops on their behalf). I'm also am not opposed to ownership at a dealership dropping a monthly shop into his own system and seeing his team's follow-up through the eyes of a customer.

However, I am generally opposed to mystery shopping stores because it
A) Doesn't give an entire picture because of a small sample size
B) It makes the team less productive by spending time seeking content with someone that has no intention of buying

This is why we at DealerKnows created TaskTeacher, our lead process grading technology and team. Our trained agents become the watchful eye in the dealership, and like Steve Stauning recommended, monitors the lifecycle of a lead for the first 10 - 20 days. However, we do it on real live leads that already exist. (We could always go longer, but I'm sure Steve would agree that the majority of contact attempts stop after 7 days anyway. CDK Global just shared similar data from a study at DSPC). Moreover, it isn't enough to grade how ISMs/BDC Agents are handling leads. They're provided detailed coaching comments on what they did right or wrong, if there were misspellings, the full email/call/text attempt chain involved, and we send this information back to, not just the lead handlers, but the owners/operators/managers too.

If you're looking to evaluate a lead process - or individuals on your team - it cannot be a once a month snapshot. Each lead handler should have leads spot-checked multiple times each month, it must be consistent, it must be shared as it happens with management (to save deals), and you must be able to monitor trend lines long term to ensure there is growth from each agent. Again, it must be on LIVE leads. Not fake shops that devalue the ISMs' time. Mystery shopping can slow productivity, force over-analyzation of leads, cause cherry-picking, and disenfranchise your team. Doing it on live leads, with scientific criteria, sent to multiple roles in the store, from a trained eye, is the only way to leverage lead process data with actionable information to improve your follow-up efforts. Just my $0.02.

In sales, I find it easy to pick out a mystery shoppers on the phone and in person, body language is a dead giveaway in my opinion and the questions they ask. Once you realize you are being shopped you steer the conversation to the key grading areas.... and 9 times out of 10 you are going to score in the 90's...

Dealer surveys are always coached to the customers... “Hey guys this is one way I make my money with completely satisfied filled out”
I can admit this doesn't always work.. but most of the time it does...

There is no doubt lead follow-up and call evaluations should be utilized as effective management tools. Additionally, both lead and call evaluations provide excellent feedback for how customers were treated - this is rarely accurately captured in a customer survey.
When evaluating, there should be more emphasis placed on the first contact with a customer.
If the first contact with a customer (either by phone or email) is handled improperly, the subsequent lead process never, or at best, rarely has a chance to succeed.
So I suppose we all share the same opinion... mystery shopping alone does not provide enough adequate, actionable information.

Our GM encourages our sales managers to mystery shop our lead process from time to time which I thought was a pretty good idea because not only does it allow for feedback but it also gives them the opportunity to "see" our process.

I wish the OEM shops were a lot better than they are. As Dusty mentioned, they're easy to spot. Here's a real mystery shop lead I once got: "I have 2 kids, want an SUV that's good on gas, and all I know is I want a Chevy. What can you recommend?" Most of the time they will tell you their demographic in the lead. Also, they tend to use the same email address and make the same inquiry, word for word.