• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

2 Industry Trainers - 2 Opposing Views - Which do you agree with?

If a consumer actually responds to your voice mail by calling you back, at the dealership - there's a chance you won't get it.

Why? Because on average, 40% of phone calls into your dealership hit a brick wall!!

Here's some supporting data from Mike over at Century Interactive.:

* Connecting calls 60% of the time is better than the current national average. That means 40% of inbound calls don't reach someone who can help the caller. Imagine just connecting 20-30 more calls a day.

dealerphoneperformance.png

Why aren't calls being connected?

dealerphoneperformancewhy.png

38% Hung up while on hold.

This is why Elise is successful in her initial follow-up. Whether you agree with her or not, she is giving out a direct line and letting the customer know that is IS her direct line (not because perverts are wondering who Elise is).

No bullshit operators or phone trees to deal with.

Reactions: Stefan
Whether you agree with her or not, she is giving out a direct line and letting the customer know that is IS her direct line .

I only have my cell phone number on my e-mail signature & no matter what I say in my voice mail, I always end it with "This my cell - it's 717.831.8487 - so feel free to call or text." And it's google voice - so if I go on vacation (or to a conference) - I can switch the number to ring to the store. And all my text messages are saved on-line. I can also e-mail the voice mails to anyone - so someone else can call the customer back.

That's all fine and well. Give your extension or cell phone number. Give it once.

Once per day? Sure - no worries, but I still don't understand why you think calling only once is acceptable... & I mean call multiple times over a span of WEEKS - not DAYS.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I feel like Uncle Joe responding back to back here... :poke: Kidding - luv ya Joe!!

Find a way to cover all your bases.

Here is my initial Follow-up process that covers it all, not matter your angle...

1. Each lead receives a first email response, manual or automatic, that asks the customer "would it be okay to call you?". This promotes a permission based response - very important element that allows you to move forward.

2. Each and every lead receives a phone call within 15 minutes, UNLESS the customer responds to the first email, asking that you do NOT call them. Otherwise call them. If they don't answer - leave a message.

If you call before the customer responds and they happen to respond with "I asked you not to call me" - have an apologetic word track to overcome it. When they go back and see that you asked for their permission to call, it can provide you the needed cushion. It's 2014 - we all know that emails have a way of hitting the Spam folder.

IMPORTANT - In your voicemail you MUST give your direct line, preferably a cell phone that you have quick access to. Reiterate to the customer that this is your direct line.

Always try and transition to the phone. If you can get the customer on the phone (while using email to get their permission) and have the opportunity for your personalty to come through, that golden. From there on it comes down to your phone skills.

Last edited:
I only have my cell phone number on my e-mail signature & no matter what I say in my voice mail, I always end it with "This my cell - it's 717.831.8487 - so feel free to call or text." And it's google voice - so if I go on vacation (or to a conference) - I can switch the number to ring to the store. And all my text messages are saved on-line. I can also e-mail the voice mails to anyone - so someone else can call the customer back.

Megan, YOU GOT IT!!

Google voice is an awesome tool. Find a number service that gives you control.

"free to call or text" This IS the deal breaker. Let the customer know you will accept their text message!!

One thing I picked up from Grant Cardone back in the day (before he went freak social on us) was SHOW URGENCY TO SERVE THE CUSTOMER. And do it in a professional manner.

Once per day? Sure - no worries, but I still don't understand why you think calling only once is acceptable... & I mean call multiple times over a span of WEEKS - not DAYS.

You're putting words in my mouth here. I have zero qualms with calling more than once. I take issue with leaving more than one message.
Maybe Canadians just hate voicemail more than Americans.

vm2-jpg.2253

Let's change up the last Bullet / Closing and Contact information by emphasizing your Direct Line.

"Mr./Mrs. Smith, I want to be sure you're taken care of so please use my direct/cell phone number at 240-XXX-XXXX. If you prefer, you can even text me at that number. Again, that is my direct line. You can also reach me at [email protected]."

Provide your @twitter and invite them to Direct Message. Twitter is due to announce some enhancements with direct messages. #crazythought

Provide your @twitter and invite them to Direct Message. Twitter is due to announce some enhancements with direct messages. #crazythought

My twitter & my facebook is on "Why Buy" & it invites customers to friend/follow me (I also have a pic of me doing a 100 km cycling ride & playing guitar at a gig on my why buy)! I also have my facebook/twitter links on my e-mail signature!

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
My twitter & my facebook is on "Why Buy" & it invites customers to friend/follow me (I also have a pic of me doing a 100 km cycling ride & playing guitar at a gig on my why buy)! I also have my facebook/twitter links on my e-mail signature!

Good stuff Megan. Make it as easy as possible for the consumer to contact you and while you're at it, brand yourself and show some personalty.

One of the biggest mistakes sales people make when calling the potential customer and leaving a voice message - they don't offer anything of value. Their reason for calling is nothing more than to ask if they're still in the market.

"Mr./Mrs Smith, I'm calling to find out if you're still in the market for new car" -- No value, no substance. You NEED to be prepared to provide something of value when you call.
  • Informative value build data about the vehicle they're interested in - maybe you forgot to mention the first time or in your email or video email.
  • Like make / model was just traded in
  • New truck load of like models were just delivered to the dealership
  • New incentives were just announced ... etc.
Have something of value to say. Never call to merely ask if they're still in the market for a vehicle.

Have something of value to say. Never call to merely ask if they're still in the market for a vehicle.

Love this point Jeff. I just finished Jill Konrath's SNAP Selling and your points above are spot on with it. SNAP is largely B2B focused but the principles are easily transferable to B2C.

Simple, iNvaluable, Aligned, Priority.

The modern prospect and shopper is frazzled and busy. It's not uncommon to have one (and only one) shot at winning their business. At the dealership, this is for the inbound and outbound side of things. Take the time to think about the prospect and become iNvaluable / Aligned with their needs before calling. Have a value prop. Be memorable.

Side note: This applies just as much to outbound emails. The "just checking in" email more specifically.