• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Not sure where to ask this (test drive question)

dvMail

CSI Bandit
Jan 9, 2012
First Name
Neal
Hey guys, I am not sure where to ask this question.

I am trying to get a better understanding of the post test-drive sales techniques used to convert shoppers into buyers.

I am sure the answer will be dependent on the brand, so if you answer, can you please mention the brand too?

What % of test drivers do you convert?

Thanks for your help!

-Neal

I don't know that there is a bona fide 100% all the time answer to your question, but the number one thing I do on a test drive to turn a shopper into a buyer is give them numbers. That always starts the conversation, and it also allows me to find out if I'm on the right car or if I need a lower priced package, or if I need to add some equipment. A hassle free presentation of figures can be just that- hassle free. Depending on the dealership setup, it doesn't have to be "let me go get some figures from my manager and if they are good will you buy it right now!!!!!!!!" (don't forget to smile before you sharpie).

Let me ask you, do you feel like you are having trouble converting drivers to buyers?

I don't know that there is a bona fide 100% all the time answer to your question, but the number one thing I do on a test drive to turn a shopper into a buyer is give them numbers. That always starts the conversation, and it also allows me to find out if I'm on the right car or if I need a lower priced package, or if I need to add some equipment. A hassle free presentation of figures can be just that- hassle free. Depending on the dealership setup, it doesn't have to be "let me go get some figures from my manager and if they are good will you buy it right now!!!!!!!!" (don't forget to smile before you sharpie).

Let me ask you, do you feel like you are having trouble converting drivers to buyers?

Personally, I like your approach.

For me, the farther through the process a customer goes, the higher the chances of them purchasing the vehicle. It isn't rocket science. Objections are handled (if they exist) along the way or the customer will not be willing to proceed. The farther they proceed, the more objections that have been eliminated.

Converting "shoppers into buyers" is a little bit of a confusing term today. The reality that I have finally come to is that anyone that actually sets foot on my lot IS a buyer. They have done all of their "shopping" from their couch. Now that doesn't mean that all of them can buy a car, and it doesn't mean that all of them will in fact like my car. Make no mistake, they are buyers in some way shape or form.

Half of the people that test drive a vehicle at our store will sit down and try to buy it.