• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

AutoTrader.com finally gets into the dealer reviews arena

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
DealerRater and AutoTrader Partner to Bring Dealership Reviews to AutoTrader.com

That’s the big news for today. We knew it was only a matter of time before this happened. Too many listing sites have dealer reviews and you can’t deny the all the studies pointing to the growing importance of dealership reviews and the influence it has on dealer selection.

Speaking with Chip Grueter earlier today, he confirmed that DealerRater now houses MORE than 1.8 million reviews.

1.8 million reviews - OMG that’s a lot of reviews. I’d like $1.00 dollar for each review please. :)

Cars.com was smart and instituted dealer reviews a few years back. Talk about a bold and strategic move. Speaking with Cars.com earlier in the year, they were set to surpass 700,000 dealership reviews by the end of 2014.

Late to the game is have AutoTrader.com. In stead of growing their own reviews, they're taking a short cut by partnering up with DealerRater. Why not, they have 1.8 million review to share.

So what do you think? Good / Bad / Indifferent?

Could another acquisition be around the corner?

I think it was a brilliant (and necessary) move on AutoTrader's part. To be able to automatically add 1.8 million reviews to the site? That's a no-brainer. No need to play catch up when you can acquire that much content from the get-go.

I think this is great news for all of the dealers that have spent money and effort on DealerRater. I think the value of these reviews will skyrocket now they are on a more purchase driven site. I think the cost associated with DealerRater now has a much stronger leg to stand on.

As for an acquisition, I am kind of surprised it hasn't already happened.

I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, I think it's great that we don't have yet another platform to try to get adequate review counts on and as @JessicaRuth said, less duplication is a good thing. On the other hand, companies that get so large and buy up everything else, scare me a little - too many eggs in one basket, but I do feel that this is a smart partnership nonetheless.

I hear AutoTrader reps talking about the consumer's trust all the time. This is a great step in that direction. With "dealer controlled" reviews (all 4's & 5's) and reviews on/from sites the shopper doesn't understand, they become jaded. I think it's a good branding move on both sides. It' that's a positioning for another buy up, that makes :2cents: too.