• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Used Car Inspection Checklists

bringles

3rd Base Coach
Apr 17, 2013
Awards
First Name
Erik
I am small independent dealer who thinking of using a formal inspection checklist on all of my inventory. In the past I would thoroughly look over the car and make a list of items that need attention. The mechanic would also alert me to any other issues that I may have overlooked. It has worked well so far, but when a customer asks me about the condition of the brakes, tires, etc, I find myself giving vague answers like "oh the tires are about 30-40% tread left". It would be nice to have a detailed answer like "6/32" tread left on the tires, 4/32" left on the brake pads".

I think its time I put together a formal inspection checklist (30 point, 50 point, etc). I figure I can use it in my advertising, print off a copy to keep on file and show the customer, plus it reduces the chances for mistakes or forgetting to check something.

I specialize in the $2,500-$7,500 price range, so a 150 point CPO checklist is overkill, but where is the happy medium? I printed off a sample Honda CPO 150 list and cut it down to about 50 points to check. It seems thorough without going overboard.

I used to take my cars to a local shop to get an oil change and they included a free inspection report that I could show potential customers, but it always included a bunch of preventative maintenance suggestions or up-sells that looked bad to potential customers.

I wanted to get some feedback, suggestions, warnings, etc from dealers with experience.
1. What I noticed is that 90% of people don't bother to get a car checked out and those that do have it already made up in their minds to have the car inspected by their mechanic no matter if you or a third party already did one. Have you noticed the same thing?
2. How many options should I include next to each item? For example, 1. ok / needs attention / n/a 2. recently replaced / ok / needs future attention / needs replaced / n/a 3. or a pass fail system with only 2 options
3. Am I opening myself to potential liabilities by doing this?

@JoePistell may have some feedback around this one due to his years at the used car king.

Sounds like you're already taking steps in the right direction. I was going to suggest a CPO check list. Grab from there what most customers want to know about most - regular maintenence items. Give it a good visual so it's easy to consume.

I agree with you the factory certified checklists may be overkill for that price range of car. Here is a copy of a 27 point checklist used in our Toyota stores, not for used cars but for service customers. Perhaps this list with copies of the bills where you repaired any "red: area items would work. I have a local friend who has a used car lot simliar to your business model. he uses a form similar to this and it seems to make his customers happy. Hope this helps.

toyota-mpi.JPG

• Useful
Reactions: Jeff Kershner
We use something very similar to what Bill put, it's just very heavily branded with store details and has a few custom things they wanted.
I believe they have an internal one and a customer facing one that they use in the same way we used to use four squares to help explain a deal to the customer.

I really like the oil change/inspection idea.

One idea is to visit the oil change manager and tell him the reason why you dont use him anymore and ask if he can ease up on the suggestive selling. If he agrees, with every oil change, tell him you'll buy a gift cert for a free oil change for every car you sell.

Check your state for liabilities on providing opinions on the mechanical status of a vehicle, in some areas they may be consider part of the advertising and make you liable for misrepresentation since you are not a 3rd party but the seller.

Not breaking the party but pointing you into doing some research so the list doesn't become a problem in the future for you.

I really like the oil change/inspection idea.

One idea is to visit the oil change manager and tell him the reason why you dont use him anymore and ask if he can ease up on the suggestive selling. If he agrees, with every oil change, tell him you'll buy a gift cert for a free oil change for every car you sell.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't use that shop anymore because I could get a better price and I don't have to pay for repairs until after the car sells with the other mechanic I now use. Its time consuming taking a car to two different shops, so I figure its best to combine the best of both and just have the shop I use now fill out my inspection sheet.

Check your state for liabilities on providing opinions on the mechanical status of a vehicle, in some areas they may be consider part of the advertising and make you liable for misrepresentation since you are not a 3rd party but the seller.

Not breaking the party but pointing you into doing some research so the list doesn't become a problem in the future for you.

I appreciate the feedback. I should clarify that the mechanic I use is a third party, he does not work for me. I will still look into any potential liabilities in California.