• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

This may be why you don't Outsource your Chat on off hours..

Alex, I believe that handling chat well doesn't come down to scripting, but moreso...
1. Training the individuals on customer service first and foremost
2. Providing them with scripts that give them every if/then scenario we as dealers are faced with (and when there is a new scenario... have the whisper feature to get a manager more apt to answer get in there, then create a new if/then scenario to add to the list)
3. Teaching them how to use scripts loosely instead of in a robotic manner
4. Most importantly, coaching them on the VOICE of the dealership and engraining in them the culture you are trying to promote. Simple things like mission statements, service values (like the ritz carlton), and providing each person a contact to reference on the floor if needed all help make chat a great way to drop the walls before they get there, increase appointments and show ratios, and sell cars.
I don't know if that answers your question?

Thanks Subi. I certainly wasn't expecting you to reveal every detail of what you've done, so this will suffice :thumbup:

After sleeping on it, I think my personal beef with chat is less about "chat" in the literal sense and probably more against the core of our industry's current motivations. I believe car dealers have a tendency to shove a customer into a process that benefits the car dealer's negotiation of a deal instead of giving the customer what he wants. Chat is the technical allegory of this.

Reactions: subi101
I think my personal beef with chat is less about "chat" in the literal sense and probably more against the core of our industry's current motivations. I believe car dealers have a tendency to shove a customer into a process that benefits the car dealer's negotiation of a deal instead of giving the customer what he wants. Chat is the technical allegory of this.

This is exactly why I stopped using a 3rd party to handle chat.

My vision of chat is to give a customer a direct answer to a question. Too often the 3rd party couldn't give the answer...simply because there was no way to script a reply.

Sure I want a phone number or email address. Sure I want an appointment. First, I want the customer to get an answer to their question.

After sleeping on it, I think my personal beef with chat is less about "chat" in the literal sense and probably more against the core of our industry's current motivations. I believe car dealers have a tendency to shove a customer into a process that benefits the car dealer's negotiation of a deal instead of giving the customer what he wants. Chat is the technical allegory of this.

Well put.

And adding to the fire: We hold chat providers to the standard on how we would like our own sales people to answer any leads, yet it is easier said than done.

I don't want to sound pessimistic or think that it can't be done but to stress that it is not a plug and play solution in most cases but as Subi put it, continuous work on both ends.

Thanks Subi. I certainly wasn't expecting you to reveal every detail of what you've done, so this will suffice :thumbup:

I agree with your summation, but this doesn't apply to every dealer. In fact, I believe that many are putting customer service first. If you view chat as a means of customer service and not a lead generator, it will in essence cultivate very strong leads. That perspective isn't for everyone, I recognize that... but it certainly helped me sell more cars for my dealerships! :)

It's on page one - http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/thre...ource-your-chat-on-off-hours.4233/#post-36471

:)

I've been defending out-sourced chat for years now. I've written several blogs in its defense and why most dealers should not be chatting in house. Maybe I assume that most of the community members know where I stand on this topic. I forget we have new followers or some that only scan and not read.
Woah. Slow down there chief! I see now why you are getting upset at the response. Your tone took on that of a position where as you were instigating a conversation. I recognize that. So, I agree with you that it is a question that needs to be answered. I feel however, it can only be answered by each rooftop after analyzing what can and cannot work for the personality of that dealership. I couldn't get in-house chat (that I knew how to cultivate ) fit into the structure of my last dealership and found a solution. In answering your initial question (of which I read and reread thoroughly) I feel that there are options to handle off hours chats really well. It is just up to management to monitor and control what is being discussed and how to answer it. But that goes for anything doesn't it? I tell my groomer exactly how to cut my dogs hair every single time I visit and I work with my non-automotive CRM every week to make it better. Just sayin. :) You know it all out of love Jeff.

I like my off hours managed chat. It's better than no one to capture the info from the person not sending in a lead. There have been a few times where something wasn't 100% right; however, that's usually due to my not getting holiday hours or updated staff info into their system quick enough. The Holiday hours they fixed this fall with a proactive email to have dealers update them with just a few clicks - AND now extra password info!

Real Questions from chat transcripts:
  • “Interested in an suv with good mpg”
  • “we would also want to look into all new & used 3rd row seating SUV's”
  • “is there any way to search just for 7 passenger vehicles?
  • "what other models besides minivans and dodge journeys seat 7, the traverse is too pricey”
  • “I am looking for not sure what kind of car but not too old, around $12,000 if possible. In that type of ball park. Thank you.”

This is a simple business challenge. Chat vs No Chat.
  • If you have no chat, what is the outcome (i.e. will they come back?).
    • -compare that to-
  • If you have chat, what is the outcome (i.e. will they capture the lead, or, will come back?)

The chats above are "product-based chats", I consider these "lost sale reports". Not only do they give you insight into your product mix, but also the weaknesses in your website design.

Reactions: Kelly Wilson
My research found "product-based chats" = 45% of all chats

If you read 100-200 of your store's chats, you'll find common themes of in the product questions. Here are my product chats, ranked by % share:
  1. complex query*: 52%
  2. locate product by $ or payment: 36%
  3. wants more details on car: 10%
  4. car has warranty?: 1%
I consider #1 & #2 chats were due to a design FAIL of my website. #3 were perfect leads that required follow through.

This was giant used car store (6,000 units a year), your store will have a unique profile (i.e. lack of new car pics drives chats higher). If you read a few hundred chat transcripts and "bucket-ize" them, you'll get deeper insights into your shoppers needs.

In my case, Chat was 100% better than No Chat (because most product chats came from a poor search experience) .

*i.e. a SUV with 3rd row and navi under $300 a month with $2000 down

Reactions: VVAuto1
Joe,

I have to disagree with you that #1 and 2 are design faults of the website

Even though you have a GPS on your phone some people still like to ask for directions. Same goes for the website. I read a lot of chats to learn patters and I strongly believe some people just... don't navigate and just ask those questions.

Mornin Yago,

Yes, there are people that "don't navigate and just ask those questions"... my sweet wife Cindy is the poster child of this group ;-)*

That being said, plz look at the Real Questions from chat transcripts (below),
  • “Interested in an suv with good mpg”
  • “we would also want to look into all new & used 3rd row seating SUV's”
  • “is there any way to search just for 7 passenger vehicles?
  • "what other models besides minivans and dodge journeys seat 7, the traverse is too pricey”
  • “I am looking for not sure what kind of car but not too old, around $12,000 if possible. In that type of ball park. Thank you.”

I went to my website and make each search happen. FAIL. Try it on yours... you'll see. Also, deeply consider that these are high quality questions because they are what every sales rep hears every day.

HTH
Joe

*From a audience study perspective, we know they're out there, but, they are a small share of the total audience. I have a framework for this persona, they are "extroverted people with low problem solving skills & low internet IQ" (aka old school). That being said, I think these shoppers are a DIFFERENT design challenge (i.e. how to make chat a better UX for them)