• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Will you expand paid search beyond Google?

I don't deny the numbers are there, but if you're making an advertising strategy based on mobile safari, you might want to make sure the websites are in order and your mobile conversion process is near perfect before proceeding with that. Also, these reports tend to not be similar data to what we actually see on dealership websites. I will have to confirm, but I know that most of our clients focus a heavy portion of their advertising on desktop browsers intentionally.

Agreed you need to have a mobile-ready (responsive/adaptive) website, but that is standard procedure in 2015. If you have a dealer site that isn't mobile-ready, you are already far behind the curve.

I have NADA data showing the average dealership website receives >39% of their traffic from mobile devices. It rises every quarter.

So 40% Safari usage with 40% of traffic is a significant number. Definitely worth strategizing for.

A quick average across 10 dealer sites shows about 25% safari usage.
Bing currently makes up 8% of organic traffic and Yahoo makes up 5% of it.

Mobile Specific
Google mobile: 20% of all traffic
Yahoo mobile: 1.35%
Bing Mobile: 0.79%

That said, the question isn't what percentage of my visitors are currently on Safari, the question is what increase can I see by adding additional spend to these search engines. I would have to determine if I think there's value in more of those visitors, especially considering they're my lowest pages/visit out of all traffic types.

This is all questionable currently, as Apple hasn't made the switch (other than Siri). However, when/if it does, your traffic patterns for mobile will change drastically.

Agreed. I'm a bit ahead of myself.
iPads and iPhones do make up 60% of my mobile traffic already and you are correct that almost all of them use Safari.

Reactions: Karbaum