• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

smartest way to set up the architecture for a Group site?

ErikJonker

3rd Base Coach
Jan 26, 2013
Awards
First Name
Erik
Question for the Super Smart people that are on DealerRefresh all the time is what is the smartest way to set up the architecture for a group site?

Currently we have www.jonker.com as a group URL with www.langleyhonda.com and www.jonkernissan.com for the two stores for years we have advertised and used www.jonker.com as our main URL.

Should we go:

A. with a landing/Splash page for www.jonker.com which asks people to click a picture of one of the stores and redirects people to that individual store and url ie. www.jonkernissan.com

or

B. something similar to www.newroads.ca where our urls would be like www.jonker.com/honda or www.jonker.com/nissan

The only thing I have been told is that option B might help with SEO as the one URL would have a higher authority ranking with more unique content within one domain. I could still use one of the stores unique urls like www.jonkernissan.com for individual advertising that redirects to www.jonker.com/nissan

Sorry if this comes off as confusing. As I write it, it feels like I just attempted my first essay in French.

Erik, not confusing at all. Great question actually (one of those questions that often tends to get asked every few months.)
The only thing I have been told is that option B might help with SEO as the one URL would have a higher authority ranking with more unique content within one domain. I could still use one of the stores unique urls like www.jonkernissan.com for individual advertising that redirects to www.jonker.com/nissan

I'd keep steady with group website. Sounds like you've already branded it, and if you would happen to acquire another dealership - the group website would continue to grow and of course be very beneficial.

If any of you're existing URL's have any authority, I would proceed with caution before moving, renaming and/or re-directing. If you're website platform is set up correctly (throw in a WP blog on the root domain) but I wouldn't worry too much about not having enough content for each individual dealerships website.

Shoppers LOVE selection. The more inventory (especially used) you have the more overall engagement you'll receive i.e. time on site, SRP and VDP views, etc.

@Alex Snyder @Mitch Gallant @kevinfrye @Alex Jefferson @JoePistell <-- lets see what some others have to say.

Agreed on the group website. Make sure each site has separate analytics (in my opinion), but I would put them all on one domain.
Also nice if you can show all the inventory in one place as an option.

Erik, not confusing at all. Great question actually (one of those questions that often tends to get asked every few months.)

I'd keep steady with group website. Sounds like you've already branded it, and if you would happen to acquire another dealership - the group website would continue to grow and of course be very beneficial.

If any of you're existing URL's have any authority, I would proceed with caution before moving, renaming and/or re-directing. If you're website platform is set up correctly (throw in a WP blog on the root domain) but I wouldn't worry too much about not having enough content for each individual dealerships website.

Shoppers LOVE selection. The more inventory (especially used) you have the more overall engagement you'll receive i.e. time on site, SRP and VDP views, etc.

@Alex Snyder @Mitch Gallant @kevinfrye @Alex Jefferson @JoePistell <-- lets see what some others have to say.

Bump.

I would recommend option B
Not just for SEO but also from a marketing standpoint
If they dont like a honda and want a nissan, just go to the different section not a different dealership (which may or may not be you)