• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Any help with Best Practices for creating a BDC?

Tony G

Green Pea
Jan 26, 2015
First Name
Tony
I have been researching, and it seems like searching and searching and searching on a best practices for creation of a BDC and or BCC.
I'm currently a internet director/ manager at a dealership.
( I have also discovered there is a wide range of responsibilities assigned to that role from dealer to dealer.)

I'm trying to shape my department into a true business development center.
Do you have to transition from a business call center to to a development center?
Can you have development center without a call center?
Are there company's that assist in setting these services up?

Hey @Tony G

We have a lot of discussions around BDCs - so, before we start commenting on a new thread I would suggest you do a quick search here in the forums for BDC. To get you started here are few I found:

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/do-you-have-a-bdc-or-are-planning-to-add-one.1030/

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/bdc-coordinator-commission.4264/

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/does-your-bdc-work-after-hours.4257/

Happy researching and if you don't find anything in there that helps let us know and we'll start helping ya in this thread.

it honestly depends on the scope and roles of your staff, and the goals of the store. a call center is basically a BDC - some just handle inbound leads and follow up, others make outbound service reminders. some just deal with sales, and others set service appointments. pm / call me for support 727-638-0195

Tony, thanks for asking the community. As you will find, there are quite a few opinions on how to best setup your BDC, but to answer your questions, I guess we would need to understand how you are differentiating between a Call Center vs Development Center and what roles each plays?

I have a feeling you are asking to you have a department that develops business through equity mining, referrals, service opportunities and such, following up on unsold showroom traffic, thus developing and harvesting business. VERSUS a call center environment that takes incoming phone calls and sales leads and opportunities and tried to create business from those incoming opportunities.

What I have found is that what you are referring to can be one in the same. The skills, word tracks, and best practices can cross both opportunities, thus helping minimize the amount of people needed for the department(s). Typically with a BDC you have 4 arms to a fully functioning BDC

1. Incoming Internet Leads
2. Inbound Phone calls
3. Equity Mining and developing business
4. Service (everything from incoming service calls, setting appointments, declined service, etc)

There are quite a few companies that do help out dealerships looking to setup BDC/BCC's, and in full disclosure, we are one of them (www.pcgconsultingservices.com). Others out there that I have a ton of respect for, in no particular order, would be David Kain from Kain Automotive, and Joe Webb from Dealer Knows.

I hope this helps sir.

Reactions: Alex Magnan
There's no shortage of knowledge and guidance on the topic however if YOU cannot pull it off in your store than the best ideas turn into a battlefield you die on. Usually best practice seekers are looking to solve a problem however you haven't really laid out your problem as you see it.

There are no silver bullets or a best strategy and at the end of the day having a BDC strategy is quite simple and easy to pull together, the tough part getting all players involved to do the important work.

The answers to the first 3 questions below are "ok and sure..." without more info. To the 4th, you'll find no shortage of outstanding consultants looking to take your money (with a big smile) however if you're not well set, well managed and well lead than it will send you reeling instead of proudly to victory.

[+]I'm trying to shape my department into a true business development center.
[+]Do you have to transition from a business call center to to a development center?
[+]Can you have development center without a call center?
[+]Are there company's that assist in setting these services up?

Reactions: Jeff Kershner