• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Apple selling cars...direct to consumers?

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
I'm sure you've heard the news already - Apple is getting into the car business.

Steve Zadesky is to lead Apple’s automotive research labs and they just hired Johann Jungwirth, former President and Chief Executive of Mercedes-Benz Research and Development of North America.

First questions is WHY? Why does Apple have this urge to get into the automotive business?

With a reported $178 million in cash - I guess they can do whatever they want. Carve out their own niche and pipeline. I'm sure Tesla is sweating a few bullets.

Another question - will Apple cars be sold through the usual dealer franchise or go direct to consumer?

If Apple shows any degree of success, how far behind will Google be?

I've been thinking more about what "Project Titan" could be and I've come to two conclusions.

1. It's a custom mapping solution (like Google Maps Street View) on steroids meant to be used in the field for their mapping efforts and everyone is blowing things out of proportion.

2. This is an actual effort by Apple to prevent Google from locking them out of the automotive market. Self-driving cars is a CS problem, and the way to solve it is via hardware (GPS, lasers, etc) interacting with models/maps. One of the things with the Google cars is that in order for them to drive them around Mountain View, CA they require incredibly complex/detailed models of the city (like a model race track). I think this is where the magic is at. OEM's want to all offer self driving technology but they need the models. So, I don't think it's so much Google or Apple want to build cars - it's that I think they want to provide the models and maybe the software. I'm more convinced it's modeling though. The links below explain things better and are really really cool.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-makes-googles-self-driving-cars-work/370871/

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/google-self-driving-car-maps/

Killer summary Chris. I am totally in line with your thoughts. I'll add to it.

In the future, when cars can drive themselves, it'll be a rolling living room. Car buyers will choose their cars based on it's entertainment value and it's seamless experience with your OS (e.g. Android, IOS, etc).

Reactions: Chris Cachor
I don't know if on purpose - but read the question and your 2 answers. Might be a self fulfilling prophecy... will they fail/succeed -- yes/no.

I imagine a world of Apple cars where:

1. You can only drive on Apple highways, as Apple will want to control the user experience using their product

2. Fueling (or charging) your Apple car will only be allowed with a custom 60 pin connector.

3. Service will be at a Genius Service Center, by appointment only, and when coming in for service they would ask if you read the owners manual first.

4. And lastly - this would be the first Apple product with windows.

Reactions: joe.pistell
I think Apple will be able to penetrate the automotive market. I see them selling a high line car that would compete with a company like Tesla. Elon Musk even encourages competition with Apple. (Source - Business Insider) They have the resources to acquire top talent as well as technology and the funding to execute. Being in the Bay area tech scene, this should be interesting!

:gossip:

Reactions: jvdixson