• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How to add OEM like "Build your car" to website.

Apr 13, 2013
First Name
Justin
I recently accepted a SM position at a small Mazda dealer. Our competition which is about 15 miles away has twice the inventory. Since I worked at the competition for 5 years I know their inventory was a major reason why people purchased there.

The store I'm currently at sells about 20 Mazda's per month. The other guys sell 50-65 per month. Our pricing is the same. Which leads me to believe our inventory issue is most of the problem.

I have been trying to come up with a way to add a tool like the one on Mazdausa.com which would allow my customers to build out the Mazda they are looking for, get a price, and set an appointment.

On top of that Mazda will not allocate more cars until we get our 6 month average up. Which is hard to do if I never see the customer because they think they cant buy the Mazda they want here. I have no problem DX'ing.

Do you guys have any other ideas on how I could over come the inventory issue we currently have?

I sell CDJR in a small town, smaller Midwest market, and we have 6 stores all around us within a 45 minute drive in any direction. We have a similar problem. Allocation is fine, but when we call off our Cross Sell reports, the number one reason people drove 45 minutes to purchase instead of purchasing here had nothing to do with price, and everything to do with inventory. My customer base has made it clear to me that they have no intentions of shopping here for a car if they know I don't have it. Frustrating, but you can't blame them. The wrong car at the right price is still the wrong car.

@IsellMazdas

First question to ask - does the owner want to sell anymore Mazdas? Seems like a stupid question but you may sometimes be surprised by the answer. Not being familiar with your dealer - are you a group and are the other makes receiving more of the attention? Are you a gross holding dealers or is the dealer willing to pump out some volume, if you had the volume? How long has the dealer been around as a stand alone rooftop? Do you do a lot of dealer trades on new Mazdas? What's your showroom up to sale percentage on new Mazdas?

The answers to these questions will allow you to make a decision on how to proceed. I've worked for a few dealers that were JUST FINE at the volume / gross percentage they were currently at, as they say "fat and happy".

If your dealer wants to break their own volume barriers and start being a player in the region, then from the point of sitting in your shoes we need to build perception while offering such an amazing experience for every customer moving forward, that customers wants to do business with your dealership no matter if you have the exact Mazda or not. I know this from experience when working with a Nissan store . We went from being the bottom volume dealer in the region to top 1-3 (in a large metro area not).

Reputation and Experience:

I see you're using a service - Review Lobby. I've never heard of them but I'm guessing this is an internal review service and NOT your traditional 3rd party review service like Cars.com or DealerRater? I'm usualy not a fan of these type of review services because they become more of a "push" service - HEY, LOOK AT US. Not saying they don't have their place but I would be working on a balance of review across other websites.

I see you also have a link on your home page to you cars.com reviews.. but the link goes to a page blank page - http://pearsonmazda.com/Cars-Reviews/ --- maybe you have this unlinked due to the small flurry of not so great reviews. No worries - that happens but I would be working hard to get those reviews down the page.

Are you getting reviews from your Mazda service customers? Pony up and go after those - unless you know your service department isn't good enough, and in that case you have another problem all together.

Video: Unless you're dealer refuses to do trades, I would go after a few video reviews from customers that were ecstatic with how quick you were able to get them the right Mazda despite not having it on the lot.

"If we don't have it, we can get it!" help push this message across your channels. At at least for awhile.

Also:
pmazda_reviews_inhouse.jpg

Inventory: Some might not agree with this but there are times you gotta do what you gotta do.

Option 1: Find a service that offers "virtual inventory". These services offer VDPs and SRPs that give the impression that you have just about every vehicle model, trim, color and options available. At first glance this can be misleading to the consumer but with the right disclosure and process (online and offline) it can work and be effective.

Option 2: Use an inventory management software service that allows you to "lock" the vehicle into a status that will keep that vehicle in your online inventory. Doing this, you're essentially building out you own virtual inventory. I would only do this with the more common trim levels and colors and not the more hard to get configured vehicles (big bonus if you're taking photos if your new cars). I would also advocate offering a disclosure letting the customer that this vehicle might not be located at your dealership for test drive but can/could be acquired from the storage facility - that being port or every other Mazda dealer you trade with.

You may also want to add something to the stock number so when someone walks into the dealership or calls looking for that exact vehicle by stock number, your sales team is aware that it's a virtual car and they now need to use a different word track / approach.

Both of these virtual inventory options insist upon a tight approach and process with the right word tracks to be successful. I've offered this advice before and a few didn't agree with it. Found it misleading. It can be IF you don't include the right disclosures and know how to deal with the lead and customer.

I know it works because I did it myself, several times with little to no negative implications. These dealers are now selling more volume and making more money.

You're in a tricky position and you need to do what you need to do to pump out some volume in order to get more inventory. But before I would move forward - I would find out where the upper management heads are.

Last edited:
  • :light:
Reactions: JessicaRuth
I recently accepted a SM position at a small Mazda dealer. Our competition which is about 15 miles away has twice the inventory. Since I worked at the competition for 5 years I know their inventory was a major reason why people purchased there.

The store I'm currently at sells about 20 Mazda's per month. The other guys sell 50-65 per month. Our pricing is the same. Which leads me to believe our inventory issue is most of the problem.

I have been trying to come up with a way to add a tool like the one on Mazdausa.com which would allow my customers to build out the Mazda they are looking for, get a price, and set an appointment.

On top of that Mazda will not allocate more cars until we get our 6 month average up. Which is hard to do if I never see the customer because they think they cant buy the Mazda they want here. I have no problem DX'ing.

Do you guys have any other ideas on how I could over come the inventory issue we currently have?

Can you tweak your incoming cars to match demand? I'm with Toyota and once cars are allocated to me I can change them to what I want. BY doing so you can increase your turn rate and you should be able to earn more cars. Also do you guys offer any services that the other dealer does not? Sometimes its not about price, but value. Brand your business in a way that makes it more compelling for potential buyers to choose you over any other dealer.

Reactions: joe.pistell