• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Lazy sales managers that don't care and CRMs

sryan

Desk Monkey
Aug 18, 2012
First Name
S
I work with 2 managers that refuse to learn how to use our CRM properly. Showroom visits stay open for days upon days, when myself (BDC manager) asked them to close out current showroom visits I get the old "whatever".

I have several processes involved within our CRM (vinsolutions) that involve the desk managers to actually do their job and then the processes kick in. Desk managers do not care for the system, salespeople aren't getting email addresses from customers, not asking where customer came from. I feel like I am in 1997 with these guys. These managers pretend that they care and they're doing their job, but they could care less. Their motto is essentially, "the less work the better, this internet thing is hard"

2 desking managers don't require notes or correspondence with customers through CRM. Customer just sit in the CRM system with literally no follow up, and the managers response is "I can't get the salespeople to do that" This is a leadership problem I know. Something needs to be done

What would you do?

Last edited:
When I read this I was worried for a second that maybe I woke up in the middle of the night and wrote it.

Did they have any say when the processes were built in the CRM? What if you built processes with them? Who manages the managers? Have him/her present when you build the "new" process.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
When I read this I was worried for a second that maybe I woke up in the middle of the night and wrote it.

Did they have any say when the processes were built in the CRM? What if you built processes with them? Who manages the managers? Have him/her present when you build the "new" process.

I think the problem is they do not see the value of a CRM tool and how much it effects sales and customer retention. They don't understand how to use it let alone how it works. It is truly mind boggling.

For what it's worth I came to this dealership 2 years ago to "upgrade" their internet presence which was very very little. There was A LOT of rebuilding to do...for instance they had NO CRM tool when I arrived, everything was pen and paper. I thought this was borderline insane... Does this help?

Funny story: I went up to one of the sales managers not too long ago. I said hey, you know the last 2 years we've sold more cars out of this store than ever right? His response. "Yea Im closing more deals, I'm the best" I literally couldn't stop laughing

I like to compare the BDC to NFL kickers. When a team wins it's because the offense got them there, if they lose it's all the kicker's fault. If we drive traffic and sales increase, the sales team was killing it. If sales are down, blame the BDC. I had a manager say in our Saturday morning meeting last week that he was frustrated with the lack of traffic the BDC has brought in. The truth is that we have more shows and a higher lead-to-show percentage than last month as well as Feb 14.

I've learned long ago not to expect or look for recognition, and am perfectly content setting and achieving goals as well as helping my team of reps achieve theirs. I tell my team all the time that the smile on my daughter's face when I can afford to take her on a trip, buy her clothes, or take her out to eat is all the recognition I need. However, what I do to help show our team's contribution are things like give the desk a list of appointments for the day each morning or providing real numbers/stats on what we're doing in every sales manager meeting.

Anyways, I've found the more you can get your sales managers involved in what you do the happier you'll be. When we looked to switch CRMs all the sales managers had the opportunity to attend the pitches and vote for the one we chose. When we set up the processes in the CRM, everyone had the opportunity sit in on that meeting as well and I got them to commit to the processes. When you give people the opportunity to participate and take ownership in the process I've found they'll be more willing to stick with the program.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: sryan
True story I see too often when implementing a new CRM. I know in my heart when i leave a store like that what's going to happen and it pains me. A CRM tool is designed in many ways to help you to be better about managing processes. But when a manager doesn't want to do it, then who?

If we were in my store I would say fire them and find someone who will. And many stores take this attitude... You are replaceable, but our CRM isn't. Until ownership/management gets to that place I'm not sure what you can do. It takes a desire to get better and unlike your story, not thinking you're the greatest yet.

I agree with Joe - If the dealership is large enough to warrant having a BDC then you are probably handling a large volume of leads and phone calls as well as following up on showroom visits. And if the store's sales have been consistently improving based on your efforts, then I wonder what has changed since the owner/GM brought you in to upgrade. If they are not committed to continuous improvement and you have the talent, then definitely seek greener pastures. Kershner is from that area, he should be able to get you hooked up with a progressive GM...right Jeff?