• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Why is Video so difficult?

Great video, nice walk around. Like the music bed. Nicely done. Vehicles with high scarcity scores may have some youtube traction, but, in almost all circumstances, I'll take 3 video views from my VDP shopper vs. 300 views from youtube.
I agree, you'll notice location tags in the video titles and keywords. And a link to the site in the description. Video is just one more way to get them to that VDP.

Reactions: joe.pistell
I don't think any of you guys really get what Video is all about.

All I hear is walk around videos. How boring is that to see a bunch of dudes/dudettes walking around cars talking to me like im an idiot and dont know anything about anything.

As far as the idea of stitched videos giving a boost in backlinks. Now, that is totally false. There is zero juice being passed through those links and are completely spammy. Due to the fact that 99.9% probably have zero views. They play no role in helping you out. ZERO VIEWS means that many people watched them.

The walk around should only consist of enough video to show someone that the car exists. Don't talk, don't have the music playing and dont over think it. Make a quick moving picture 15-30 to show that the car exists.

Most think Video is hard in my opinion because the industry is treating it like a phone or an email. like there is some sort of one to one connection thats going on there. the reality is, is that there is no connection. Nobody goes to youtube in hopes of finding you and your 1min boring ass walk around. Nobody cares about you or me or anyone else in this realm. There isn't time to care.

This world is not the same. everyone needs to stop thinking you can sell cars on say youtube and maybe try and sell your videos on youtube and create a new revenue stream. I mean look at Jenna Marbles. She has millions upon millions of views for everyone of her videos. She isn't selling you anything other than her random video of the week basically.

For example this video has over 20,000,000 views. Her only strategy. Post a new video every week and have fun.

I don't think any of you guys really get what Video is all about.

The walk around should only consist of enough video to show someone that the car exists. Don't talk, don't have the music playing and dont over think it. Make a quick moving picture 15-30 to show that the car exists.

Chris,
Sorry bud, but all I see a gut call with no test data to support your thesis.

Question for you:
How would you create a test that could deliver data that could verify your thesis?

Chris, I really don't think you get it, I see walk around video as a personal video for a customer that is interested in a specific vehicle. Yes a more generic video on a VDP is great and sometimes can get views and get some Juice back. but I'm sorry i'm not trying to get 1 million views on a walk around, I'm trying to sell that car. Now a more informational video like how to change the oil on a your F-150, or how to use your navigation, I'd make that to drive traffic.

I don't think every video you make has to be made to generate views, why can't you send your customer a video answering their questions instead of a plain email? Is that video a waste of time if it gets them engaged and maybe even gets the sale?

@JoePistell , Here you go. This is a screen from one of my Youtube Channels.

8Ont08k.png

@mpreiber - You can do whatever you want. But what you think might be helpful might be annoying on the other end. Videos are made to be watched. If you feel like a question needs a video answer than cool. All I am trying to say is that the way we think video is supposed to work is totally out of scope with how people consume video.

Reactions: Clay Toporski
@JoePistell - I wanted to test my theory too when we decided to launch this new channel in October last year. We shoot the videos using youtube capture on an ipad mini. We only market the videos in an email campaign to that customer.

All the videos are under a minute, No talking and no music.

Think of how putting off it can be to try and watch a video and when the person starts talking they either dont sound like what you thought, or you cant understand them because the mic sucks or they have an accent. It starts to play into cognitive biases and just how our brains are wired. So my thought was to keep it all about the car and show that it is in fact a real thing. We don't need any more than that.

Chris,

"How would you create a test that could deliver data that could verify your thesis?"

Your thesis:
"The walk around should only consist of enough video to show someone that the car exists. Don't talk, don't have the music playing and dont over think"

This is an engagement test, not a traffic test. IOW, How do you know if your video viewer was satisfied with the presentation?

People get the email with the embed, people click on the embed, people watch the video. They either reply to that email or in most cases call us back. The video plays on a dedicated embed page so I can see the variants between Socially found vs. direct embed.

I think you are fishing for an answer that doesnt exist. how does one measure sentiment?

People get the email with the embed, people click on the embed, people watch the video. They either reply to that email or in most cases call us back. The video plays on a dedicated embed page so I can see the variants between Socially found vs. direct embed.

I think you are fishing for an answer that doesnt exist. how does one measure sentiment?

I totally get how much faster and easier silent video is. But, how did you conclude that silent video was superior? Email replies? Special phone tracking numbers?

Behavior of a satisfied video user:
  1. Watches the video to the end
  2. Replays the video.
  3. Watches your other videos.

For me, the #1 metric is "Watches the video to the end". When I use to run videos back in the day, youtube could not supply me this so I used a free video host that could supply me with this, I used ooyala.com