• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Value of Online Directories

Is the Moz service free? I quickly checked their tool, and the say they can take one of our stores from 64% to 78%. But, obviously I would want to get closer to 100%.

While I started to dig into this, I ended up speaking with someone from Manta, who offered a paid service to update all the listings as well (or, at least 59 different listings). Obviously, they aren't the only ones out there trying to sell this type of service, and I have come across it before (I met with C4 Analytics recently and they pitched that part of their package as well).

Is the Moz service free? I quickly checked their tool, and the say they can take one of our stores from 64% to 78%. But, obviously I would want to get closer to 100%.

While I started to dig into this, I ended up speaking with someone from Manta, who offered a paid service to update all the listings as well (or, at least 59 different listings). Obviously, they aren't the only ones out there trying to sell this type of service, and I have come across it before (I met with C4 Analytics recently and they pitched that part of their package as well).
According to https://moz.com/local/how, the cost is $84 a year - about as affordable as anything gets...

Reactions: craigh
Moz is a tool for analytics, Manta is a service that helps you control the content in the directories.
You may want to double check your info @yagoparamo - Moz bought local guru, David Mihm's stellar tool, GetListed, at the end of 2012. They relaunched the tool as Moz Local.

Manta isn't a listing tool, it IS a local directory.

Hope this helps!

The choices seem to be: Yext, feeds out to about 68 directories. Cost --- as low as $449(?) per year.

Or Manta - Feeds about to 59 Directories for $349 per year.

Now, the problem with these two services is this: You do not "own" the logins to the directories. Yext/Manta just push data over to the directories. So, if you cancel the service, all the corrected data on the directories will most likely revert back, or the duplicates you had removed will come back.

The alternative is Synup, which is a little more labor intensive. Pop your dealership in, Synup finds as many directories as it can, you give Synup the information you want on the directories, and select which ones you want, and they will take care of signing up and entering the data you provided --- at $2 per directory. They will then send you the login information.

I think I'm leaning toward Synup, since I don't want to pay for a service in perpetuity.

The choices seem to be: Yext, feeds out to about 68 directories. Cost --- as low as $449(?) per year.

Or Manta - Feeds about to 59 Directories for $349 per year.

Now, the problem with these two services is this: You do not "own" the logins to the directories. Yext/Manta just push data over to the directories. So, if you cancel the service, all the corrected data on the directories will most likely revert back, or the duplicates you had removed will come back.

Who would sign up for that? For real...

Here's an exert from a recent article over on WebsiteMag.

CITATION BUILDING
In the early years of Google, the quantity of links built determined how well a website would rank. In the past few years of local SEO, the number of citations was more important than the quality, but that is no longer the case. When building local citations in 2015 you want to focus on respected citation sites and niche specific citation sites. Here is a list of general sites that are still worth building local citations on:

•2findlocal – no-follow
•411 -follow
•8coupons -follow
•ABLocal – no-follow
•AirYell – citation and follow link to video
•AmericanTowns - follow
•Avantar - citation and follow link to video
•Bing - follow
•ChamberofCommerce.com – no-follow
•CityMaps -follow
•Citysearch – no-follow
•CitySquares – no-follow
•CoPilot - follow
•credibility.com – no-follow
•Cylex – no-follow
•DexKnows - follow
•EZlocal –no-follow
•Facebook –no-follow
•Foursquare – no-follow
•GetFave – no-follow
•GoLocal247 – no-follow
•Google+ – no-follow
•iBegin - follow
•iGlobal - follow
•Local.com –no-follow
•LocalDatabase - follow
•LocalPages - follow
•MapQuest - follow
•MerchantCircle – no-follow
•MojoPages – no-follow
•My Local Services – no-follow
•n49 – follow
•Navmii – no-follow
•Opendi - follow
•Pointcom - follow
•ShowMeLocal – no-follow
•Superpages – no-follow
•Switchboard - follow
•Topix - follow
•Tupalo – no-follow
•USCity.net – no-follow
•VotefortheBest – no-follow
•Where To? - follow
•WhitePages - follow
•Yahoo! - follow
•YaSabe – no-follow
•Yellowise - follow
•YellowMoxie - follow
•YellowPageCity – no-follow
•YellowPagesGoesGreen - follow
•Yelp – no-follow

As you probably noticed, the citation sites above are marked as follow or no-follow, you will see why you need that information in just a minute.

See more at: http://www.websitemagazine.com/cont...&utm_campaign=newsletter#sthash.Rg3Inxyn.dpuf

Maybe that 3-400 isn't such a bad deal after all. Ha!

Just an update on this: I went through and tried the SYNUP service, which charges $2.00 per listing to fix. They go through and register the actual accounts for you, and provide you with login details/proof. Your dealership will actually own the listings! They said it will take 3 weeks to complete. I ended up fixing 27 listings to start. I'll report back how this service works.

Seems like the better choice, instead of being locked into a $349 yearly fee... FOREVER...

Well, I took a non-automotive website and applied 10 of the local listings sites above.
This was a new business with no prior online ranking.

They skyrocketed from #13 (last) on google maps to #3 in the 7 days after.
That is all the data I have, but I will be trying this again.