• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Bluetooth Beacons

Just got this from Dave Page, very interesting bluetooth beacon technology from Facebook,

https://www.facebook.com/business/a/facebook-bluetooth-beacons

For some reason that link doesn't go anywhere, but the same URL works fine.

I think we're finally seeing an application of beacons that could work - Facebook is one app that 90% of smartphones have and gets used or is open in the background constantly. No more of this "if you have our dealership's app then I can geofence you and alert you" nonsense.

That said, it will be a while before we are able to truly see if this works or not.
Privacy is a huge deal, but also an area where Facebook always seems to be able to skate by, scathed but intact.

The problem with privacy is that it's not always about what's actually taking place, but what's perceived.
If people don't expect it and suddenly their facebook points out that they know where they are, some people don't like that.

Example: gmail ads - I have never once had an issue with the fact that the ads are targeted to the contents of my emails, but thousands of people freaked out over this as if a human was reading their emails or their email contents were being sold to advertisers.

According to Facebook's Beacon Page
https://www.facebook.com/business/a/facebook-bluetooth-beacons

"These beacons use Bluetooth® technology to send a one-way signal to the Facebook app on your visitors’ phones to help us show them the right information.

The beacons don’t collect any information from people or their phones or change the kind of location information Facebook receives. They’re designed not to disrupt the operation of your Wi-Fi or other equipment.

Only people who have enabled location services on their phone and have Bluetooth turned on will receive Place Tips from the beacon at your business."

That's my point about perceived security though. Facebook users aren't reading that page and understanding how it works, they're just seeing a restaurant invade their Facebook.

Ultimately I shouldn't say anything until I see it implemented. This could be great for check-in promotions, review acquisition, etc.