• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Best Camera for Online Photos

What about video camera's? What is a good HD camera to take video's around the dealership for testimonials, walk-around, etc? Don't need to break the bank but a decent quality HD video camera, a wireless mic, good tri-pod.

Elay,

If you already do photos even a cheap DSLR will do OK video.

In my experience the hardest things on video are:

Shaking: Get a pod.
Sound: Get a wireless mike.

We use a pretty good camera, but we use an eye-fi wireless SD card in it. As soon as a picture is taken, it's automatically uploaded wirelessly to his iPad within 1 or 2 seconds. So by the time your done snapping pictures, all the photos are there and it's a 10 second batch upload to vAuto using the mobile app on the iPad. No USB connections, etc. pretty seamless setup. The overlay we use is automatically applied to every 1st photo through vAuto's software.

Josh - are you still using the vAuto app? We have started using it at some dealer groups and are running into issues with uploads. Our other inventory platforms match photos with vehicles through the software. I have 3 employees shooting about 60 vehicles, 27 photos per vehicle, per day. Did vAuto ever put a time stamp in place on their app?

What is the best camera to use?

The best camera to use is… one that comes with a photographer attached to it. If any camera is set to “Auto” mode, where the camera is left to determine the outcome, it will take roughly the same shot. Whether it’s a phone, a point and shoot or a DSLR, if its set to “AUTO” your photos will look like they do.

Alex didn’t take any of those photographs with a camera on the “AUTO” setting. Great job by the way, Alex!

Alex had to consider the time of day, the angle of the light, the color of the light, the amount of the light, the intensity of the light, the color of the subject, the texture of the subject, how the subject was situated to the light, how the subject reflected the light. He would have to position himself in relation to the subject and the light, in the optimum spot to reduce the glare bouncing off of the subject and eliminate reflections of himself in the surfaces of the subject.

After careful observation he would adjust his camera’s settings. He would check his metering and adjust aperture, shutter speed, white balance, ISO, exposure compensation and flash compensation if applicable. He would start to walk around the car making minor tweaks to his settings as he shot all of the exterior shots and then… he would then start shooting the interior requiring a change in each and every one of these settings.

Shooting wide angle shots of the seats and dash for context, again for second time, requiring a change in each and every one of these settings. Sitting in the car now taking up-close macro images of the gauges, the shifter, the radio and other controls requires a drastically different approach all together. A specialized form of photography in and of itself.

The scope of lighting conditions inventory photography presents is possibly the broadest of any photographic endeavor. From relatively distant wide-angle landscape style shots of large shiny things in the full sun to close-up macro shots of dark things in the shade, like gauges, creates a range of light conditions an “automatic” camera cannot compensate for.

Alex takes great pictures and he used a camera but, the camera didn’t do it. It was his knowledge and skill.

Alex uses a DSLR for a number of reasons. Besides all of the obvious reasons he uses a DSLR due to the fact the body size accommodates a button and/or dial for every function and setting for expedient adjustments on the fly. That’s only advantageous to someone that knows how to take photos manually.

Photographers take better pictures even better than cameras do. Hire a photographer.

This is a thread I didn't think would ever come back to life. NICE!! Still to relevant. Thanks @carmudgeon

It's crazy to think how long we have been doing this, having these conversations @Alex Snyder and here we are so many years later... dealers still needing the answers to these questions. Had they only found DealerRefresh 10 years ago :)

Proceed...

Any SLR camera might have issues getting down to the 640x480 pixel size most sites require. I wouldn't want to lug a SLR around myself (and I have carried 40lbs of Canon 1D bodies with the big white lenses around Antarctica, so one body and a small lens is nothing) jumping in and out of cars. We use whatever the just-under $200 Canon Point and Shoot with Image Stabilization there is. I just want a Macro feature, a built-in flash, and up to 400 ISO and I need nothing more for shooting cars around the dealership.

At 640x480 there is not enough of a difference in the image quality to justify a Digital SLR on a dealership lot.

When I'm out shooting stuff like this: Axspot Photography - Images of Alex Snyder then I thumb my nose at a point and shoot (I posted that link of my photography site just to show that I know what I'm talking about on this topic).

This is where you buy your camera: http://bhphotovideo.com

P.S. Yes, when it comes to photography, I'm a cocky bastard :lol:

Hi Alex,

Great place i bumped into here!... I literally just signed up.

My scenario is a little different, I am looking to shoot specialty cars for sale in an indoor warehouse style showroom environment. I am setting up overhead lighting over a silk etc. What I am looking for is not just a simple picture of the vehicle, I want to be able to take crisp, clear, detail defining photos that will jump out and allow the viewer to actually see the vehicle for what it is.. Without breaking the bank, what camera under 1k (and any lenses) would you suggest I pick up? Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Hi Alex,

My scenario is a little different, I am looking to shoot specialty cars for sale in an indoor warehouse style showroom environment. I am setting up overhead lighting over a silk etc. What I am looking for is not just a simple picture of the vehicle, I want to be able to take crisp, clear, detail defining photos that will jump out and allow the viewer to actually see the vehicle for what it is.. Without breaking the bank, what camera under 1k (and any lenses) would you suggest I pick up? Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

@Rich Goncal thanks for joining us. I hope you know you just opened up Pandora's box by asking Alex that question. LOL

I also wanted to to take the opportunity to point you in the direction of our custom search that could also connect you to several more relevant threads... http://dlrfr.sh/searchallofit

With the capabilities and quality of the cameras lens found on the latest smart phones, plus the convenience of connecting by wifi, is anyone using their iPhone or Android to take inventory photos?

What Pros or Cons should one consider if using their latest smart phone to take photos of their inventory?

There's also the Samsung Galaxy cameras. Anyone using one of these for inventory photos?

Hi Alex,

Thanks in advance

:hello: and glad you found us.

Even though your scenario is a little different I think Sony now has something for everyone. Their mirrorless bodies are getting to be pretty amazing. So, what you're after is something that can handle low light and expose the shadows better. This is where Sony's processors really kick ass over just about everyone else! On top of that, the A6000 body is now a lot of bang for the buck with the recent price drops and it is only slightly larger than many point and shoots. The kit lens at 16-50mm should be all you need. With your lighting in place you only need a tripod and maybe a remote shutter release.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Sony&ci=16158&N=4288586281+4291215468

There are a number of Sony mirrorless options at that link. Any of them will work for any dealer. It is just a matter of whether you like to spend $600 or $3,000 for prestige purposes.

On a personal note, I can't tell you how many times I've debated with buying a Sony camera for my own photography hobby/addiction. If I weren't so heavily invested in Canon and didn't need the super fast autofocus for wildlife & sports shooting I'd have jumped on both the A6000 and A7 bodies by now. If you're a new photographer, without any glass investments, then Sony is the way to go.

• Useful
Reactions: Stefan