• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Uncle Joe's Make Over Diary

Joe, whats up with the disclaimer as a signature thing? Did I just not notice it before or is it new?

It's a disclaimer that DR should have. An un-experienced reader could take an idea from anyone's post, apply it to their biz and it could fail miserably.

Word to our green peas...
"Dealer's are like snowflakes, no 2 are the same"
-Uncle Joe Rule #113

"Just because it's a good idea, doesn't mean it'll work"
-Uncle Joe Rule #62

"In business, whenever you solve a problem, you create another. Your success is seen when your new problem smaller than the old problem."
-Uncle Joe Rule #11:

Reactions: jscole86 and Stefan
An ol' software saying that I like:

“What’s the difference between a software salesman and a used car salesman? The used car salesman knows when he is lying.

So much of software is invisible to the eye, PLUS, in our industry, internet car shoppers are invisible to the eye.

I need help. This quote is used everywhere:

"Shoppers use to visit 4.5 dealerships, now they visit 1.3 dealerships"

Where is this study? Anyone?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...-1103-zorn-20131103_1_dealer-salesman-invoice

"Ten years ago, car shoppers made an average of 4.5 visits to dealerships before making a purchase," said David Hyatt of the Automobile Dealers Association. "Today, thanks partly to the dealers' use of the Internet, they make 1.3 visits."

Lots of references to "According to the 2011 JD Power Automotive Internet Roundtable Study, the average car buyer will visit 1.3 dealerships" but good luck finding that study.

Last edited:
Reactions: joe.pistell
How well do you think you know car shoppers?

In 2015, over 2,000 buyers were interviewed at delivery. The survey asked high-level questions in the hopes to give us insights into what happened prior to purchase.

Take this survey and compare your results to this car buyers study! CLICK HERE

It's 6 questions, plz leave me your thoughts and ideas.

I need more data, plz give it a try, it’s only 6 questions, but, they’re not easy questions ;-)

How well do you think you know car shoppers?

In 2015, over 2,000 buyers were interviewed at delivery. The survey asked high-level questions in the hopes to give us insights into what happened prior to purchase.

Take this survey and compare your results to this car buyers study! CLICK HERE

It's 6 questions, plz leave me your thoughts and ideas.

I'm curious about this 48% of customers visited the website 6+ times statistic.
I certainly don't see that in the data on our end but would love to be able to track it better.

According to the survey results, if my math is correct, the average # of site visits per customer was 4.23
The average I see on any of my sites is well under 3, closer to 2.4 or lower on most sites.

I am also curious how you got those results when there is no 0 answer - did it exempt anyone who had not visited the website? Did the survey only get sent to website visitors?

I'm curious about this 48% of customers visited the website 6+ times statistic.
I certainly don't see that in the data on our end but would love to be able to track it better.

Hi Craig, thnx for taking the survey! It's a survey of buyers, done at delivery. This survey is all over the forums (I've been doing it for 7+ yrs or so). Buyer has to pass thru a gate "while shopping, did you visit our website?" Next question: "If yes, then how often did you visit?".

To everyone else, take the survey and compare your results to the car buyers study! CLICK HERE

According to the survey results, if my math is correct, the average # of site visits per customer was 4.23
The average I see on any of my sites is well under 3, closer to 2.4 or lower on most sites.

Here's how I flow thru the logic.
1st, not all visitors are buyers (i.e. the average visits overall can't be relevant to "those that bought").
2nd, buyers typically average 1.5% of total unique visitors (sales/uniques)

So, looking at web shopping data, it's impossible to winnow out the engagement of those that will buy vs all others. Also, the real buyers are always small share of the uniques. This is why the survey at delivery can help shed some light*.

*your mileage will vary ;-)