• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The competition is who and they're doing what???

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
Did you know Apple, Google, Acer and other electronics companies are on the cusp of launching their own cars?
Did you know self-driving automobiles could be closer than you think and almost every manufacturer is working on one?
Did you know Uber and Lyft are being invested in by car manufacturers?
Did you know the FTC has opened the doors to OEM direct selling conversations (A.K.A. more lobbying)?
Did you know a possible self-driving car ownership model is not to own the car at all, but to rent it?

Can you connect these dots?

I doubt there is much dealer associations can do to stop the autonomous vehicle revolution, and that's unfortunate, because their members will likely suffer more than any other industry. Here's one opinion on this: winners and losers from self-driving cars.

I think self-driving automobiles will eventually come and I will welcome them with open arms, but I think they are further a way then that articles makes them seem. Hell they may not be a reality in my life time. I know they can make a self driving car and it can have lasers and gps and all kinds of things guide it's way and on a a regular day it can preform flawlessly. The problem first is cost of these systems and with that is making them actually fit in a car and then making them reliable. Also the days of personal ownership of a vehicle may come to and end someday I suppose, but for the couple that lives in suburbia with 2 kids I just don't see them waiting for the car to come to them they are going to want it ready in the driveway with their car seats and things ready to go regardless if it is self-driving or not. Maybe instead of two cars they have one I could see taking an uber to work every day, I could plan that easily, but for all of the stuff my family does on the weekends and my wife driving the kids and stuff it would be a nightmare waiting for cars to show up every 15 minutes. Either way exciting to think ahead.
View This Thread
Watched Forums

mpreiber said:
I think self-driving automobiles will eventually come and I will welcome them with open arms, but I think they are further a way then that articles makes them seem. Hell they may not be a reality in my life time. I know they can make a self driving car and it can have lasers and gps and all kinds of things guide it's way and on a a regular day it can preform flawlessly. The problem first is cost of these systems and with that is making them actually fit in a car and then making them reliable. Also the days of personal ownership of a vehicle may come to and end someday I suppose, but for the couple that lives in suburbia with 2 kids I just don't see them waiting for the car to come to them they are going to want it ready in the driveway with their car seats and things ready to go regardless if it is self-driving or not. Maybe instead of two cars they have one I could see taking an uber to work every day, I could plan that easily, but for all of the stuff my family does on the weekends and my wife driving the kids and stuff it would be a nightmare waiting for cars to show up every 15 minutes. Either way exciting to think ahead.

Matthew, I can completely understand where you're coming from on this, but it makes me remember in 1985 when my Mom asked, “Why would anyone ever have a computer in their home?” Or in 1995 when she wondered aloud, “Why would anyone want to buy a book over the internet when you can just go to a bookstore?”

She'll turn 74 this year and she not only has two computers in her home, she has an iPhone 6+ and a Kindle. And the only time she buys a physical book is when they cut the price to 25 cents at the thrift store in her town.

Stauning said:
Matthew, I can completely understand where you're coming from on this, but it makes me remember in 1985 when my Mom asked, “Why would anyone ever have a computer in their home?” Or in 1995 when she wondered aloud, “Why would anyone want to buy a book over the internet when you can just go to a bookstore?”
She'll turn 74 this year and she not only has two computers in her home, she has an iPhone 6+ and a Kindle. And the only time she buys a physical book is when they cut the price to 25 cents at the thrift store in her town.

I don't think the question is why people would want self-driving cars. The potential of self-driving cars is obvious to pretty much everyone. I think the question is how much of their potential will be fulfilled and when it can take place.

Consider the following:
  • Government Regulation - Let's say that the government requires gas/brake pedals and steering wheel with someone in the driver's seat in position to take over if needed. That is going to limit the potential of these self-driving cars.

• Cost - Regardless of consumers buying these vehicles directly or businesses offering them as a service all of the technology required to make these vehicles work is not cheap. It is one thing to make a self-driving car but it is another thing to make it a viable option (price wise) for masses.

• Capabilities - There is still much development needed on these vehicles and questions to be answered. How will the vehicles react in winter weather? Will companies have to map out every road in America before these cars can drive on them or will these cars be able to learn the roads? Thinks of all the different unpredictable situations encountered when driving. These self-driving cars have to be able to react properly in all situations.

• Insurance - Who is legally responsible when a self-driving car is involved in an accident?

Self-driving cars can and likely will revolutionize the auto industry but it has to be a viable option for the masses. When that can happen isn't clear yet.

Stauning said:
I'm with ya Steve but the opposite has happened just as many times if not more. Many people expected flying cars, Holograms for TV and Communications, Living on Other Planets, etc by now.
I'm not saying it isn't going to happen even at a quicker timetable then I believe I just don't think it is likely.

miker1 said:
I don't think the question is why people would want self-driving cars. The potential of self-driving cars is obvious to pretty much everyone. I think the question is how much of their potential will be fulfilled and when it can take place.
Consider the following:
- Government Regulation - Lets say that the government requires gas/brake pedals and steering wheel with someone in the driver's seat in position to take over if needed. That is going to limit the potential of these self-driving cars.
- Cost - Regardless of consumers buying these vehicles directly or businesses offering them as a service all of the technology required to make these vehicles work is not cheap. It is one thing to make a self-driving car but it is another thing to make it a viable option (price wise) for masses.
- Capabilities - There is still much development needed on these vehicles and questions to be answered. How will the vehicles react in winter weather? Will companies have to map out every road in America before these cars can drive on them or will these cars be able to learn the roads? Think of all the different unpredictable situations encountered when driving. These self-driving cars have to be able to react properly in all situations.
- Insurance - Who is legally responsible when a self-driving car is involved in an accident?
Self-driving cars can and likely will revolutionize the auto industry but it has to be a viable option for the masses. When that can happen isn't clear yet.

Great points, Mike. I recently read an article that said self-driving care were 150 years away. While I am wide open to something longer than my 10-15 year horizon, I think I can safely say that 150 years is insane.

That article lost me at their absurd prediction of 150 years. My first thought was that anyone who thinks they can accurately predict technology 50 years into the future is probably a lunatic, and at 150 years you're off the charts.

To put this in perspective, 150 years ago we were fighting the Civil War with muskets. Now we live during a time when Americans must register their drones.

Technology continues to grow at an accelerating rate. So much so that the advances we'll see in the next 20 years might make the last 150 seem as if we accomplished nothing. IMHO