• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Creating An Informational Marketing System

bringles

3rd Base Coach
Apr 17, 2013
Awards
First Name
Erik
Just seeing if anyone out there has tried or is using informational marketing instead of traditional or in conjunction with. For those that are not familiar, informational marketing is basically educating the customer first before trying to sell them. (free recorded message, consumer awareness guide, etc)

I am trying to find a software(s) to run the whole thing and maybe hire a copywriter.

Is anyone aware of a dealer using this as an alternative to or along aside with traditional marketing? I would love to see a great example of a dealer doing this to get ideas and shorten the learning curve.

Honestly I just don't see educational content marketing working on an internet lead. In my experience people who inquire about a vehicle have already done some kind of research on it. What they really want to know is the price. I think the best time to educate the customer is when they are in front of you during a demo.

Hi,
I am planning on presenting it to everyone, from the customer who knows exactly what they want and are ready to buy right now, to the customer who does not know what or when they want it, and everyone in between. As for the delivery method it can come from lots of different channels, texting a short code to opt in, print ads, free recorded message, having them download a consumer awareness guide from a website landing page, or opting in existing customers through text or email.
Ultimately, the idea is to get everyone into the system and then from there the customer can move themselves through the process based on their needs and time frame and the system can help nudge them along with a segmented drip campaign when needed. I am not suggesting that this would replace traditional advertising for inventory (website, CL, autotrader, etc), writing a personalized email, or picking up the phone to answer questions.
I specialize in the sub $10k price range (mostly $4-7,000 price range). It is much more challenging for people shopping in that price range than the new car or used late model customer. Most of the cars are in fair condition at best and the sellers tend to be more shady (both private party and dealers). Honestly, I have found that most people don't know what they are doing, are sick of wasting their time, have already been ripped off before, and they feel overwhelmed.
I do the best I can to educate the customer in person, on the phone/email/text, and by creating helpful ads. However, I am looking for a quicker and more consistent way to that. I am tired of spending hours everyday trying to get the customer through the sales funnel and following up after the sale.
A great, automated system delivers a consistent message 24/7 (unlike people. who are expensive, have bad days, get sick, etc).
I have been researching software(s) to run this system and looking into hiring a copywriter to write the content, but it is quite an undertaking. The best resource I have found on this subject is the I Love Marketing podcast if anyone wants to learn more.
I have been looking for a dealer successfully doing this to learn from or at the very least put myself into their system and see how it operates from the customer viewpoint. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.