• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
@Chris Leslie, this sounds to me like something created by a marketing person that has no real world dealer experience to say: Your prices need to be the same on all sites. Of course there will be a partner product that will be available in the next couple months that dealers will need to pay for to ensure that their inventory is "Matchmaker Website Pricing Compliant". Could be wrong on this, but it is a formula that has been repeated often in the industry.

= New Buzzword from Marketing Person + New Compliance Audit = You Need to pay for this product from the one vendor we chose.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
What does that even mean? Whats a Matchmaker Website?

@MikeFitzpatrick you are probably spot on. "Matchmaker" is definitely not a term that came from someone that was ever on this side of the industry.

I'm guessing the analogy would be to a dating site like match.com. Matching one person to another vs one person to a vehicle - the initial introduction to each other (sup girl) by email being one to one vs the initial price quote being one to one and not displayed for all to see.

I just sold a car, using mostly TEXT MESSAGE.

My first response back to the web lead was simple; letting her know that I had received her request and had some additional information on that particular vehicle that I would like to send her.

then I asked...How would she like for me to send her this information – email, phone call or text?

Read this entire post and discussion (It warranted it's own thread so I condensed here and moved)

Reactions: mikesayre
Before she left, we got a photo of her and her GLK using DealerRaters mobile app LotShot (btw, my sales people LOVE LotSHot). We sent it to her by text - she returned a glowing review.

I've been trying to get dealers to use this since the day it launched.
None of the sales people buy in, even though they're all in on reviews.
How did you flip that switch?

We made a very fair profit on that GLK, but more importantly he made on hell of a happy customer that was able to communicate using the channel she most desired to use most - Text.

Another thing I try to drill home with dealers / sales people when we meet. Every customer has a preferred method of communication, possibly a preferred method for every step of the process. If they text you, don't call them back. If they email, don't call them back. Either do like you did and ask or simply use the method of communication they've chosen.

You know who else needs to learn that? Vendors. Stop calling me. You're a technology company. Use technology.
When I open a ticket with AutoTrader by email, they now call me back to confirm ticket details. Why?!

I've been trying to get dealers to use this since the day it launched.
None of the sales people buy in, even though they're all in on reviews.
How did you flip that switch?

Since being here the first (and second, now third) time, everyone knows how much of a stickler I am for reviews BUT more importantly, I'd like to think it's mostly due to my initial dedication to the process, the buy-in from EVERYONE is what makes the difference.

Like anything else, you have to SIMPLIFY - SHOW - PROVE and sometimes SPIFF the results. In this case, most everyone had been proven to on the results. LotShot allowed me to SIMPLIFY (the app makes it so easy) and again PROVE, because when you add a customer photo to the email that automatically gets sent out from the app, the increase in reviews is quite evident. Plus in the admin/app, you can see who you sent requests to but have not opened and/or written a review. With a click, you can resend the request for review email. SIMPLE!

I try to incorporate their individual DealerRater review page into as much as possible, like their signature. The Read Our Reviews graphic links directly to their DealerRater review page.

That reminds me. If anyone from DealerRater is reading this, how about a library of images that read "Read MY Reviews"

2016-07-19_19-56-52.jpg

@craigh I would be sure your team understands and is re-demonstrated on all the conveniences the mobile brings about. It's really a no brainer, especially if they're already bought into acquiring reviews.

I also printed this out and made sure each sales rep had a copy and read it.

You could potentially spiff on reviews with images... (though I'm typically the first one to speak up against spiffing your team to do something that already benefits them. It makes little sense to me. IMO - most times, spiffing for actions is for lazy managers.)

NOTE: Before this thread goes down an sort of long path about DealerRater and LotShot - I went ahead and started a new thread where we can continue the discussion - http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/dealerrater-mobile-app-lotshot-are-you-using-it.4956/

Another thing I try to drill home with dealers / sales people when we meet. Every customer has a preferred method of communication, possibly a preferred method for every step of the process. If they text you, don't call them back. If they email, don't call them back. Either do like you did and ask or simply use the method of communication they've chosen.

You know who else needs to learn that? Vendors. Stop calling me. You're a technology company. Use technology.
When I open a ticket with AutoTrader by email, they now call me back to confirm ticket details. Why?!

Agreed on all.

I like to ask what method they prefer because... quickly allows a sense of control. It's a simple question no other dealer is asking. It provokes an easy response and it's courteous.

As for vendors? It's when they show up unannounced that tends to get under my skin.

It's been exactly ONE month since I've updated this thread. I've been BALLS BUSY. SO much to update this thread with but need to find the time to get it done.

As I continue to focus on the core of quality merchandising (photo's, comments, video, pricing) - it's quickly had a significant difference. Our leads have increased by a good 50-60%. Mostly used cars of course.

Here's something that I trying to gather my opinion on -- is it OKAY to use a "FILTER" on your photos?? Jump over here for the conversation...

My ZTYLUS came in today. I've been all over the board trying to decide on which camera to use for photos and videos. After a lot of back'n forth between a DSLR and my older but still very nice Panasonic Lumix GF1 - I settled on....using my iPhone.

We've had a lot of conversations here in the forums over the years on Which Camera is Best for Online Inventory photos or what camera do you use for pre-owned inventory? Both of these threads were started back in 2010 but are still relevant to a point since the this one has comments well into late 2015/16.

Regardless, it's 2016 and most of us are sporting an iPhone6 or the latest Samsung, with camera's that are more than capable. Not only can you get more-than-good-enough photos from an iPhone6 but with HomeNet's mobile app (though buggy at times) I'm able to streamline the process, while getting my photos online within only a few minutes.

As good as the camera is on the iPhone, there's some cool options available to enhance the lens for image quality and view. Since it's 2016 the real question is - Enhanced Mobile Phone VS Professional Camera for Online Inventory Photos?

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

Since being here the first (and second, now third) time, everyone knows how much of a stickler I am for reviews BUT more importantly, I'd like to think it's mostly due to my initial dedication to the process, the buy-in from EVERYONE is what makes the difference.

Like anything else, you have to SIMPLIFY - SHOW - PROVE and sometimes SPIFF the results. In this case, most everyone had been proven to on the results. LotShot allowed me to SIMPLIFY (the app makes it so easy) and again PROVE, because when you add a customer photo to the email that automatically gets sent out from the app, the increase in reviews is quite evident. Plus in the admin/app, you can see who you sent requests to but have not opened and/or written a review. With a click, you can resend the request for review email. SIMPLE!

I try to incorporate their individual DealerRater review page into as much as possible, like their signature. The Read Our Reviews graphic links directly to their DealerRater review page.

That reminds me. If anyone from DealerRater is reading this, how about a library of images that read "Read MY Reviews"

View attachment 2986

Props to Brian over at DealerRater for reading my post and building out some graphics that read "Read MY Reviews"

DR_CreativeAssets__.png