• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

iPhone VS Pro Camera for Online Inventory Photos?

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
My ZTYLUS came in today. I've been all over the board trying to decide on which camera to use for photos and videos. After a lot of back'n forth between a DSLR and my older but still very nice Panasonic Lumix GF1 - I settled on....using my iPhone.

We've had a lot of conversations here in the forums over the years on Which Camera is Best for Online Inventory photos or what camera do you use for pre-owned inventory? Both of these threads were started back in 2010 but are still relevant to a point since the this one has comments well into late 2015/16.

Regardless, it's 2016 and most of us are sporting an iPhone6 or the latest Samsung, with camera's that are more than capable. Not only can you get more-than-good-enough photos from an iPhone6 but with HomeNet's mobile app (though buggy at times) I'm able to streamline the process, while getting my photos online within only a few minutes.

As good as the camera is on the iPhone, there's some cool options available to enhance the lens for image quality and view. And since it's 2016 the real question is - Enhanced Mobile Phone VS Professional Camera for Online Inventory Photos?

4115_b489b338a2eead6714d4e199916c4f50.JPG

4116_6135ecb8d7c10a7310570b220970bf18.JPG

4117_81afd9163a78bcf9781503b4534b1b40.JPG

4118_7714f9a887fbd1bf7d65c09eb68d1b71.JPG

I'll post a few photos from it soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander Lau
Being mirrorless, the Sony A6xxx is about the same size as a phone with a lens. It would be serious overkill for taking inventory pictures and videos. Works well in low light. It is the fastest autofocus camera made and the battery life is a real plus.

My ZTYLUS came in today. I've been all over the board trying to decide on which camera to use for photos and videos. After a lot of back'n forth between a DSLR and my older but still very nice Panasonic Lumix GF1 - I settled on....using my iPhone.

We've had a lot of conversations here in the forums over the years on Which Camera is Best for Online Inventory photos or what camera do you use for pre-owned inventory? Both of these threads were started back in 2010 but are still relevant to a point since the this one has comments well into late 2015/16.

Regardless, it's 2016 and most of us are sporting an iPhone6 or the latest Samsung, with camera's that are more than capable. Not only can you get more-than-good-enough photos from an iPhone6 but with HomeNet's mobile app (though buggy at times) I'm able to streamline the process, while getting my photos online within only a few minutes.

As good as the camera is on the iPhone, there's some cool options available to enhance the lens for image quality and view. And since it's 2016 the real question is - Enhanced Mobile Phone VS Professional Camera for Online Inventory Photos?

4115_b489b338a2eead6714d4e199916c4f50.JPG

4116_6135ecb8d7c10a7310570b220970bf18.JPG

4117_81afd9163a78bcf9781503b4534b1b40.JPG

4118_7714f9a887fbd1bf7d65c09eb68d1b71.JPG

I'll post a few photos from it soon.
@Jeff Kershner -- It's been 6 months. Where are the pictures? ;-)

@Ed Brooks Thanks for the call out. Hard to find it's been 6 months.

As for the ZTYLUS, I found the build quality lacking. The metal they use on the base of the lens that turns and snaps into the case broke. No idea how. It was was normal use and as never dropped. Also, the lens were very easy to scratch. With that being said, I did continue to use it as it did improve the quality of the photos taken on the iPhone6.

Then I upgraded to the iphone7.

The ZTYLUS doesn't fit the 7 and since the photo quality of the 7 was on par with the 6+ZTYLUS - I wiped the 6 and gave it to my son.

I continue to use my 7 for the photos but also using it for the video walkarounds using the AutosOnVideo app. The 7 processes the video much faster than the 6. So that was another reason to drop the 6.

IMG_3841 2.JPG

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Reactions: Alexander Lau
@Ed Brooks Thanks for the call out. Hard to find it's been 6 months.

As for the ZTYLUS, I found the build quality lacking. The metal they use on the base of the lens that turns and snaps into the case broke. No idea how. It was was normal use and as never dropped. Also, the lens were very easy to scratch. With that being said, I did continue to use it as it did improve the quality of the photos taken on the iPhone6.

Then I upgraded to the iphone7.

The ZTYLUS doesn't fit the 7 and since the photo quality of the 7 was on par with the 6+ZTYLUS - I wiped the 6 and gave it to my son.

I continue to use my 7 for the photos but also using it for the video walkarounds using the Autos On Video app. The 7 processes the video much faster than the 6. So that was another reason to drop the 6.

View attachment 3219

View attachment 3220

HEY HEY HEY... nicely f*cking done ! ! !

Reactions: Jeff Kershner