• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Shared inventory for multiple locations

NHHarleyguy

Rust & Dust
May 9, 2012
First Name
John
I am the internet manager for a three store Harley-Davidson dealer group. Currently our websites display a shared pre-owned inventory with units from all three locations.
LINK
We have struggled with customers not understanding where the bike is located and visiting the wrong store from time to time. We have color coded the inventory to reflect the location, used the store logos and display the location for each on the pre-owned page and still the same problem.
Anyone have other ideas or suggestions to more clearly distinguish the location of the specific units?

Last edited:
@NHHarleyguy - Hey John, a few stores that we work with had this exact same issue. I mean honestly, you can make it glaringly obvious (as you guys do) and the customer will STILL end up at the wrong store but on the site or even within the VDP, labeling the actual pictures with a banner of which store has helped from what I hear.

I'd have to see the UX data, but is there a function in the shared inventory tool that can change the sort order based upon the referring URL? (i.e. coming from Boston referring URL automatically sorts the Boston inventory up top as a default.. and so on). That MAY mitigate the problem. Sounds like some of it could be alleviated in the sort ordering.

side-note: That chat opt-out (close button) getting lost in the scrollbar is slightly irritating for UX, and a little bit of a step back, considering it covers the logo of the hosting dealership on each unit at the top of the page.

Right now only place you are showing the location is the small text and the logos. When I looked, I did not notice that the logos where actually different. (Seacoast and Boston very similar)

I would recommend putting the location under the image on the left.
Also on your VDP the location information is not visible, their is only one line for location and below the fold. I would try putting a orange bar with black text between the large image and thumbs or after the thumbs with Available At: {Address} {Map Link}

At the top of SRP make location one of the primary visible filters...

If I may point out couple of other things.

1. VDP opens in a new window (I'm Using FireFox). Now I'm stuck on a page from where I can't easily get back to the listing. If I do manage to find the listing tab clicking on the inventory no longer focuses back the VDP.
2. The live chat (Need Assistance) element on the top right keeps coming back even after I have closed it. Very Annoying. Set a Cookie don't bring it back again for the session or next X minutes.
3. Riding Academy I would recommend changing that to Learn to Ride. (Match the HD Corporate Site)
4. Test Ride button... Change that to Try a Bike (Once clicked Context Menu with Book a Test Drive, Demo Ride Events, Rent a Bike). Benefit Boost the popularity of your Events and Rent Bike Pages on site. Plus stick to Corp message.
5. Missing Customization menu (esp Inspiration Gallery... I'm pretty sure your customers have done some mad customization's snap a pic.. upload, share, start a pinterest board... etc).
6. Customer gallery takes me out of your site... stop the traffic bleed. Bring as much as you can in to the site.
7. Shop all takes me off the site... iframe it or frame it in... don't loose the visitor out. Or move Gift card as the first sub menu item.

Reactions: craigh
Gotcha! Thanks for the input. I made a few changes. The VDP will no longer open up on a new tab and I added the dealer logo to the VDP as well. With the color coding, location listed several times and logos on inventory page as well as the VDP I think this will rectify the issue.