• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TAKE POLL Cars.com VS AutoTrader VS CarGurus

Hi Jeff. would you want to publish a report on this blog that shows all dealers in the US and what classifieds they advertise on?
I have a sample report for California dealers showing if the dealer is independent / franchise and if they use Autotrader or Cars.com that I will email you. We can add any other classifieds (Like Cargurus, Craigs list etc.) and additional States to this report.

Send my way. Thanks.

@Jeff @Alexander.. I have the team running the report on all dealers in the US for which classifieds each dealer is using and will get back as soon as it is complete and will share.

Also, I am running an additional report for CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) active dealer inventories by dealer. If this is of interest I will share it as well?

@Alexander I noticed your company mentioned on Linkedin you have over 750,000 inventory listings (vehicle detail pages) available to the public. If it is of interest we have over 2.2 million active used and 3.3 million active new (all unique listings no duplicates) with the dealers VDP Url (vehicle detail pages) that I am happy to send over to you?

Troy

Reactions: Alexander Lau
@Jeff @Alexander.. I have the team running the report on all dealers in the US for which classifieds each dealer is using and will get back as soon as it is complete and will share.

Also, I am running an additional report for CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) active dealer inventories by dealer. If this is of interest I will share it as well?

@Alexander I noticed your company mentioned on Linkedin you have over 750,000 inventory listings (vehicle detail pages) available to the public. If it is of interest we have over 2.2 million active used and 3.3 million active new (all unique listings no duplicates) with the dealers VDP Url (vehicle detail pages) that I am happy to send over to you?

Troy
Oh sure on the CPO, that'd be excellent.

My day job is completely different than what I list here. What I list here is a project I undertook in my down time (was really not working, essentially). However, we can discuss. Thanks!

Troy

Hi Troy. Wondering if you still have the report of what classfieds/3rd parties dealerships are using.

Thanks,
Amie

Cars.com VS AutoTrader.com VS CarGurus.com

If you had to choose only ONE. Which would it be, and why?

You know that there is a certain amount of variation just by location. In some areas one is stringer than the other, period.
Still don't understand why you would't include CraigsList inn the equation when by traffic volume and the way their program works nowadays it is pretty much a 3rd party advertising site when it comes to vehicles.

i specialize in cars under $10k and car gurus blows away autotrader... not even close. Probably 2 to 1 in terms of leads.

I dont use cars.com but recently signed up carfax and happy with them so far. autolist has been a surprise, it was free and packaged with v12 for posting to Craigslist

Troy
How many listings do you have on feed in Florida?

I’m going to resurrect my boy Jeff’s thread…

In the last couple years Car Gurus has definitely taken over the number one spot. For years I’ve questioned whether we really need to be on all the third party sites.

For example a couple months ago I bought my wife a car and visited Car Gurus, Cars.com, Autotrader, eBay, and a few other sites. Did the dealer I purchased from really need to be on every site I visited? My thought is no.

So again I ask is it really necessary to pay stupid amount of money to every single vendor? Or can we pick a select few?

This year we’ve decided to pick a select few. Car Guru and Autotrader made the cut, Cars.com did not. We will see how it goes…