• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CarsForSale.com.....WOW

Mar 21, 2012
Awards
First Name
Ryan
I have always brushed CarsForSale.com off as the company that roped dealers in with crazy cheap offers like "Free for your first 6 months, then just $99 /mo after that." A service that would get easily forgotten about and paid by your office out of habit.

But lately they've been churning out new features left and right - providing an incredible value for just $99/mo. I'm truly impressed.

Would I personally use them? No. But they make a ton of sense for small independents.

They are essentially all of these tools bundled together for $99 /mo
:exploding_head:

• Dealer.com
  • Autotrader
  • Homenet
  • Vauto
  • Vinsolutions
  • DealerTrack
  • Revolution Parts

Yes, for $99 /mo they include all of these features:
  • CRM
  • DMS
  • Desking
  • Website & SEO
  • Inventory Management System
  • Parts & Accessories E-Commerce Store
  • Third Party Marketplace
  • Reporting & Analytics
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are as good at websites as Dealer.com, as good at inventory management as vAuto, etc.

But we're comparing a $99 /mo tech stack to a $15,000 /mo tech stack.

I would love to see some of the legacy vendors start to release new features like this on the regular.

Not to mention their corporate office is pretty sick, apparently all of those $99's add up...
1713283173218.png

Full-size T-Rex in middle of office
e9ZLIzKgJnSCTG-SCrEVCUdXglX1abAcpIw3K7qmS9ukG0NIdnfk3YvOiVJ-uWlukrmhSTH0bWUV3_oX0I0HP8JVCiu-48UnhlV9bpCIKqIC3WEnTVVagTpOm_30jltMUEQ7ddDOuEIBMKkxfQ533XM

NASCAR race car in lobby
1713282934703.png

CFO's bank vault office :rofl:
1713282975308.png

Slide to go from 2nd to 1st floor
1713283114153.png

^ All of this in SOUTH DAKOTA

CarsForSale.com Inventory Management Features

1713283834152.png

VIN Decode with Standard / Optional Equipment Packages
1713283870299.png

ChatGPT Generated Vehicle Descriptions
1713283929959.png

Price to Market Analysis
1713283956067.png

Photo Management w/ Overlays
1713284035227.png

Inventory Feed Syndication
1713283981508.png

Buyers Guides & Window Stickers
1713284061690.png

Vehicle Addendums
1713283889001.png

I've been researching as a customer and continue to get their results in my organic Duck Duck Go SERP. However, when I click on their results, it is just an SEO landing page. A few times, I have not been able to click into a way to search for vehicles. I'm guessing they have some landing pages out there that are solely for SEO. It is a bad customer experience.

I'm no Google user, so take this as you will.

I've been researching as a customer and continue to get their results in my organic Duck Duck Go SERP. However, when I click on their results, it is just an SEO landing page. A few times, I have not been able to click into a way to search for vehicles. I'm guessing they have some landing pages out there that are solely for SEO. It is a bad customer experience.

I'm no Google user, so take this as you will.
@Dan Sayer said it well "if huffy made a plane would you fly in it?"

I'm not very impressed by anything CarsForSale.com offers when you look at something they have as a standalone product. But when you take into account everything they offer for $99 /mo it's truly impressive.

It's not very often that you look at a vendor and think "wow, they could easily charge 5-10x that price."

And I think that's the point I'm trying to make, more vendors should focus on constantly shipping new dealer-requested features AND not view new features as an add-on package to sell.

more vendors should focus on constantly shipping new dealer-requested features AND not view new features as an add-on package to sell.
To do this effectively vendors have to build in public, which nearly all won't do. You have show your roadmap. The argument that your competition is going to pick a part your strategy is bogus. I am not talking about large partnerships or new products, just existing products. The other argument not to share a roadmap is because they don't have one or it's all $ add-ons, back to your main point.

A lot of the product development world is transitioning away from agile because it's not agile enough, people have been saying this for years as a joke but the big tech layoffs were primarily to the middle managers between development and leadership. When you destroy all the bureaucracy you can actually build very fast and get something between a prototype and finished product out in a matter of days now versus sprints. AI has helped to close the gap between below avg developers and good developers so smaller teams can really move now.
Bottom line: Just let the devs build the cool ideas they try them on users. If the users like it then scale it, stop planning for the sake of planning.

The core issue is companies confusing a feature versus a product because it costs so much to build everything. Every new innovative thing your application does shouldn't be individual branded products. Remember the mission solve problems and be useful.

1713290321391.png

lol, I'm a agile certified scrum master and agile certified product owner.
I'm triggered!!! lol

I bailed from one of the Major Credit Bureaus and moved to a smaller enterprise dev shops. Said Credit Bureau faced lots of this middle layer "decision makers" and who mostly were justifying their position with busy work. This same company also bought great ideas and then "incorporated" them and thus sunset them after they didn't have anything left to give.

Agile isn't the issue but rather how companies and certifications have been built around it. lol, yeah! I have 2 certs!

As for the feature creation ...
Corporate is gonna corporate ... software or car dealer. Same issues. Same type of teams needing to work hand in hand with each other.