• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

3rd Party Attribution

Hey Borge,

The Clarivoy and Cars.com study is focusing on last click attribution vs multi-touch attribution using data within a dealers' Google Analytics. The Clarivoy Native Google Analytics Integration also allows activity on Cars.com (VDPs and various lead types) to flow directly into a dealers' Google Analytics account. So this case study isn't showing an increase in ROI or incremental ROI but rather taking a different look (multi-touch v last click) and holistic picture with Cars.com data showing up in Google Analytics.

Coincidence isn't a rule to make every determination by, but there is no reason it can't be a factor. That being said, from what I have seen, Cars.com has been very active, possibly to the point of aggressive, in using this company to perform studies with the dealerships recently. I thought I even saw that they were offering to pay for the studies for the dealerships to participate. Although in and of itself there is nothing wrong with that, what are the odds Cars.com would be asking their dealers to let them pay for a study that had any chance of showing negative results? Even if you buried a negative result from the public, all of the participating dealers would then turn around and demand their rates be cut and have proof to do so, Autotrader and Gurus would have free marketing material against Cars.com, and Cars.com would never use this company ever again which is lost revenue for them.

These studies and subsequent positive marketing material were churned out very quickly, which again isn't impossible, but in a scenario where the outcome is supposedly unknown, it should take longer than usual to produce material for public consumption not less.

From what I can tell, if a dealership wanted to confirm these results personally they couldn't. The company states clearly on their site that the information about people they obtain from I.P. addresses cannot be shared by law. So, dealers have to trust that the information they got from the I.P. addresses matched customers who actually purchased vehicles. Again, this is just what I "see", so I could be wrong. But it's up for you guys to decide if these companies are producing what they claim to be. If so, they deserve credit for working hard to solve a big problem.

Yes! If there is one thing that I sooooo wish I could help dealers understand is that virtually all the traditional digital measurements are wrong. Chasing leads = wrong. Thinking the last click earned the sale = wrong. Just because it is the easiest thing to track doesn't make it right.

Unfortunately, there are few ways to track all the influences a consumer had before coming into your showroom or service lane. But a dose of faith and common sense can go a long way. I know that is not a kosher answer in this day and age, but I guarantee that if your main website goal is lead conversion then you're only doing okay because all of your competitors are too. If you stop doing all marketing that doesn't have some sort of click attribution then you're surviving on your location and reputation.

Sometimes it is better to think about the consumer's journey in buying things without wheels. How does a shopper buy a TV? What about a utilitarian device that people operate daily, but know nothing about how it works: a refrigerator. Think about how you would research a purchase that you're not an expert at and then assume this is the same way one of your customers is conditioned to figure out their next car purchase.