• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Must Reads!

Eley Duke

Boss
Nov 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Eley
A few months ago we decided to start a managers reading series. The format is each manager gets a chance to pick a book. We read a few chapters and at our weekly management meeting we discuss how it relates to our business, dealing with employees, customers, life, etc. There is no limitations on what to read other than it needs to bring value to our team and can help us to become even better leaders, and that it's under 150 or so pages.

So far we've read 3 great books; "Eat More Chicken, Inspire More People", "The Go Giver" (my pick) and we are on "The Leadership Pill".

I have a goal this year to read a new book every other week, easier said than done at times with a 2 and 9 year old. Tuesday I was at the GM Compass tour and Todd Smith was talking about different generations and how each wants to be treated in their buying process. Millennials being the greatest opportunity we have now!

2 things I'd like to ask for those that want to share;

1. Share your reading list

2. Share your best book on Millennials

Thanks!

Share your reading list
Any of the Freakonomics series - thought provoking enough to make you re-evaluate things that people say, do and believe and not take everything at face value. Will also show you that many surveys are complete and utter BS and shouldn't be given any value.
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - it's an old but good read. Less about business, more about individuals inside the business.
Good to Great - fantastic read. Was recommended to me years ago and I finally read it last summer.
The Innovator's Dilemma - another very interesting read that goes through big companies and their successes and failures and how difficult it can be to innovate and carry that through.

Unfortunately not many of these apply as much to day to day dealership business, but they didn't apply to what I was doing when I read them either and I've realized over time that they've left a lasting impression.

Freakonomics.jpg The_7_Habits_of_Highly_Effective_People.jpg Cover_Good_2_Gr8.jpg The_Innovator's_Dilemma.jpg

Share your best book on Millennials
My Facebook newsfeed

A few months ago we decided to start a managers reading series. The format is each manager gets a chance to pick a book. We read a few chapters and at our weekly management meeting we discuss how it relates to our business, dealing with employees, customers, life, etc. There is no limitations on what to read other than it needs to bring value to our team and can help us to become even better leaders, and that it's under 150 or so pages.

So far we've read 3 great books; "Eat More Chicken, Inspire More People", "The Go Giver" (my pick) and we are on "The Leadership Pill".

I have a goal this year to read a new book every other week, easier said than done at times with a 2 and 9 year old. Tuesday I was at the GM Compass tour and Todd Smith was talking about different generations and how each wants to be treated in their buying process. Millennials being the greatest opportunity we have now!

2 things I'd like to ask for those that want to share;

1. Share your reading list

2. Share your best book on Millennials

Thanks!

I don't like to read books, so I unfortunately am not able to add anything to the list.

I just wanted to take a second and compliment you on the idea of the Managers Reading Series. I can see how this could really help bring a team together, and give your group some pretty good insight into what makes each other tick.

Good for you.

Reactions: Eley Duke
Good Stuff! I would recommend every one of these...
reading-list.png