• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Nissan going to ONE website provider for dealers?!

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
This rumor has been on the street for awhile now but I'm hearing more and more about it - Nissan could be son mandating dealers to use ONE website provider.

Only ONE??

I've also heard the winner could be Cobalt/CDK.

Nissan dealers, are you PISSED? I know I am. It's been one of the few OEM's that hasn't mandated a website provider.

Reactions: Chad Pelliccioni
This rumor has been on the street for awhile now but I'm hearing more and more about it - Nissan could be son mandating dealers to use ONE website provider.

Only ONE??

Nissan dealers, are you PISSED? I know I am. It's been one of the few OEM's that hasn't mandated a website provider.

If true that's a huge fail for Nissan. I'm sure Joe has a rule # for this but if any OEM ever wants to alienate it's dealer network, just force a vendor down their throat and then stand back. :popcorn:

The other funny thing is that it could be CDK, guess they haven't learned anything from the past.

Three words plus one.

Back End Reporting - attribution
If this is true then, why not demand the same from any current provider? Scion let you host a crappy Cobalt Template on any platform, Nissan and VW demand OEM guidelines be met in all aspects of design, what would be different about demanding reporting capabilities?

Multi-touch attribution models are a must with website providers these days and only a couple are doing them right. I never understood handcuffing a dealer and saying, "even if you find a better provider out there, we'll make you use our buddies." Also, who are the ones making the decisions to go with one provider or another? Someone with lots of digital experience? Unlikely. Cash is king.

If this is true, I want to know what Cobalt/CDK is doing in order to keep getting these OEM website deals? Their sites aren't on par with the competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a revenue sharing agreement. At the same time, nobody gets fired for hiring IBM. The decision makers at the OEMs clearly aren't product people :/

Only ONE??

Such a horrible decision IMO. Follow the money trail here and someone is getting taken care of - money over quality. The dealers lose out and so do the shoppers. The people making these decisions are so out of touch with what's actually happening in the trenches.

Reactions: joe.pistell