• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Value of Online Directories

Nick Spolec

Peel'm off the Ceiling
Feb 16, 2012
First Name
Nick
SEO 101 question here: How important are all the various online directories (yellowpages, smartpages, insiderpages, ect, ect, ect) to your dealership (in terms of Google/Bing), and have you used a vendor or internal resource to get all the correct information out to those directories?

So, that's good info to know --- Do you have any specifics on what ones are good and bad? I must admit, I have ignored most of all the online directories, but in a continual effort to raise our Google standings, I came across an article about a Google Pigeon update (article from September 2014) that said Google was putting more emphasis on those directories.

I would say
DMOZ and Yahoo Directory are about the only two you want to try

If there are genuine forums/blogs that talk about cars and you participate in them, thats alright, but the $5 for 500 submission deals will do you more harm than good

@v8apps online directories != forums
I don't think he's asking about spamming forums for $5, he's asking about genuine yellowpages style business listing sites.

That said, I've seen very little impact in using any of these sites. Most of them get the information automatically once and we go correct it when needed, but I don't know that they lend any authority to anything since Google has it's own Places and uses that as the primary data source for location, reviews, etc.

@craigh that is what I had said in my earlier post
I would only submit it to DMOZ and Yahoo
Others I dont think are worth the effort

Based on the question, I would say Nick is trying to grow his organic rankings
For that I would strongly recommend not using directories
Rather, participating in industry related conversations (ex: blogs/forums)

Thats all ;)

Well, like I said, there was an article saying that some of the directories were having more priority put on them by google --- but the article was from Sept 2014. The title was "Post-Pigeon Best Practice: How To Optimize For Internet Yellow Pages & Directories". It had about 6 different directories in there, but it got me thinking about the other 50+ directories out there. Obviously I couldn't update all those directories (I am the lone Marketing/Internet Coordinator for 4 Dealerships) myself, but there are several companies that offer to take care of them, for a fee.

Always nice to have the same address across all sources, but I would imagine you're looking at small amounts of change that could take place. Make sure the big places all have the same address format, markup, etc and that should be good enough to satisfy Google's authority matrix on the validity of your address.