• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Advertising on Pandora and the ROI for car dealers

Interesting side note on Pandora "targeting." I live in North Idaho, but registered with Pandora when I lived near Dallas, TX. Despite having moved from there in 2007, I still hear ads only from Dallas-area businesses whenever I listen to Pandora - regardless of where I am listening...

Reactions: joe.pistell
*Side note: At a luncheon, I once sat next to Tim Westergren (Pandora Founder and CEO) at a Digital Dealer conference in NJ. I can't remember which one, maybe it was a 20 Group of some type and he was speaking. Anyway, nice guy and I was chatting him up on retargeting advertising and Pandora. He was pretty cool. :)

• Dislike
Reactions: Rob McCartney
Interesting side note on Pandora "targeting." I live in North Idaho, but registered with Pandora when I lived near Dallas, TX. Despite having moved from there in 2007, I still hear ads only from Dallas-area businesses whenever I listen to Pandora - regardless of where I am listening...

Could it be associated to your Pandora profile? Login and see. :)

Reactions: Steve Stauning
We love, love, LOVE Pandora. In fact, we've cut back almost all radio except for Pandora because of their un-skippable ads. We get a lot of feedback on it, and for me personally, I regularly have people at the gym tell me they're listening to my spot right then and there. Our rep, Tim Daher, comes from the auto industry too, so we have lots to talk about.

Pandora is more radio than radio.

We see tons of dealers using Pandora, targeting model specific campaigns. Pandora has very sophisticated targeting and profiling capabilities. Dealers are seeing returns and market share growth in the areas targeted. However they seem to be losing their dedicated automotive salespeople. They were great collaborators and we hate to see them leave Pandora. I'm hearing corporate decided to require a certain level of spend for a rep to even call on the dealership. I'm also hearing they no longer have a team dedicated to automotive.

Attachments

• Pandora as a rec.jpg
    Pandora as a rec.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1
There was a dealer in my 20 group that tried it out. There was a lot of conflicting reporting that they were giving versus what Google Analytics was showing. Pandora was showing huge click through traffic, but GA wasn't reflecting anywhere close to the same numbers. They canceled because of the HUGE discrepancy in the reporting.

That is a good question. I am in charge of the marketing for 3 dealerships and they are pushing me to get them on local radio.
Back in the days we used to spend more than $5000 on Radio each months. I stopped the non-sense an re-allocated this budget to PPC and SEO.
After a few years, we are slowly getting back to radio ads but I truly hate this marketing shotgun tactic.

Can anyone give me more details on advertising through Pandora or Spotify versus Local radio? Does anybody have numbers that they could show me?