• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Ad Blocker for Google Chrome

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
Google turns on their default adblocker within the Chrome Browser.

If you're the user of the latest Chrome browser, moving forward some of the more most intrusive types of ads are now going to be blocked automatically.

Define intrusive: ads including full-page prestitial ads, flashing animated ads and auto-playing video ads with sound, pops up, makes noise, blocks the screen or won’t go away. But it also includes sites with an advert density of over 30%.

The Guardian really breaks it down in this article.

I don't see this having too much effect on dealers until you have an intrusive pop-up/overlay on your dealership website or you're running some aggressive Display Campaigns. Either way, something to be aware of and watch out for.

Thoughts?

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
So they are going to block all of their competitor's ads...? Somehow I think this is going to get them in trouble.

They've tried to make that argument already, but they're doing this above the board.
The line in the sand they drew is on user experience, malicious ads, etc.
They're really only going after full page takeover, popunders, spam sites, etc - those that don't play by the rules in general.

One can only hope this kills off all these clickbait sites that have 22 ads and 1/100th of the article on every page.

@craigh I had the same takeaway. It seems they're specifically targeting obtrusive ad experiences. Looks like they're also giving webmasters a 30 day notice to change their ad experience before being blocked if they're not in compliance.

I'm all for improving user experience everywhere we can.

This has zero impact on dealer websites - unless, of course, the dealer is running ads on his/her website.

As far the publishing industry goes, Google needs to tread lightly (especially in Europe) as this type of overreach can (and should) cost them via government action.

Google is taking another step in the direction of controlling how content is being served on the web and the user experience they want to sites to deliver; good or bad.

I believe this is just another step that Google is taking to control how content is being consumed by users and there will be more to come. There is talk about automatically deleting cookie history after 24 hours. Meaning that if a user visits a dealer website, dealers will only have a 24 hour window to retarget this customer unless they visit again. Currently, Google Chrome allows consumers to delete their cookie history upon exiting browser within Advanced Settings. This is a revenue push as Google controls much of the Search Results market but not the display market (there are a lot of players), plus costs per search click is higher than a remarketing click. Its all about money $$$$.

Last edited:
Dealers need to be wary if they are utilizing pop-unders as this is considered intrusive per Google's standards.

That's not correct. Google's policies have ZERO impact on a dealer website using a pop-under, pop-up, intrusive chat, intrusive exit widgets, or any other lead driver. Those policies only impact websites using Google ads on the site (like a publisher or blog).

• Useful
Reactions: craigh
Clarified that Google will block all ads on websites that violate the Better Ads standards, not just ads that violate the standards. In other words, blocking will occur on a site-by-site basis, and not simply based on certain ad types.

Last edited:
Google is taking another step in the direction of controlling how content is being served on the web and the user experience they want to sites to deliver; good or bad....Its all about money $$$$.

Well, I will agree that this is all about the money, but not quite the way you describe. IMO this is a preemptive measure by Google to stop people from using tools like Ad Blocker that will block ALL the ads on any given website. With Chrome actively blocking only the most obtrusive ads on a publisher's website, Google is hoping that will improve the user experience enough to keep people on these websites longer thus giving them the opportunity to click on things...you know, like ads served through Google's ad network ;)