• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

One thing I couldn't stop asking myself at NADA...

Ben Koller

Green Pea
Jul 29, 2014
First Name
Ben
This is my first NADA Show and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time here. If you’ve never been, but are considering attending next year I would certainly encourage you to go.

That said, what has struck me most at NADA isn’t who’s here exhibiting, but who is not. Why doesn’t Google have a booth? Or Facebook? Or Amazon Web Services?

If you also attended the Show with more of a digital agenda, did you find yourself asking the same thing?

Personally, I’m having a hard time finding answers and welcome any and all feedback.

Last edited:
Good question... the first thing that comes to mind, they don't give a sh*t. Dealers and agencies come to them (and they do), not the other way around and they know that. Why waste their own time?

:iagree: the money coming in is so great why screw the pooch by trying to solicit directly from the end customer. End customers are such a pain in the ass anyway ;)

Kinda like OEMs wanting to sell directly to consumers.

Facebook is a different story.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Yes,
:iagree: the money coming in is so great why screw the pooch by trying to solicit directly from the end customer. End customers are such a pain in the ass anyway ;)

Kinda like OEMs wanting to sell directly to consumers.

Facebook is a different story.
Agree entirely... and if FB really wants to get into Automotive, then they need to start streamlining their solutions to Automotive retail vertical ad requirements. It's far too generic right now, there are so many more options that they could allow for within their ad system that are automotive-centric. Maybe that's the plan, chop up their system to attack specific verticals, especially the big ones. Maybe they know that and that's why they aren't active at events like this. Dunno...?

Yes,

Agree entirely... and if FB really wants to get into Automotive, then they need to start streamlining their solutions to Automotive retail vertical ad requirements. It's far too generic right now, there are so many more options that they could allow for within their ad system that are automotive-centric. Maybe that's the plan, chop up their system to attack specific verticals, especially the big ones. Maybe they know that and that's why they aren't active at events like this. Dunno...?

Facebook is weird in this space. We've served about 6 million FB ads for our clients in 2018 and are launching a new product...and can't get a business partner to return our calls. I've actually messaged a dozen of them on LinkedIn asking for help and zero replies. Pretty frustrating actually, but at the same time, we're seeing incredible results...so can only complain so much.

That said, what has struck me most at NADA isn’t who’s here exhibiting, but who is not. Why doesn’t Google have a booth? Or Facebook? Or Amazon Web Services?

If you also attended the Show with more of a digital agenda, did you find yourself asking the same thing?

Hi ya Ben! LTNTT!
Here's my thinking...
  1. NADA is a show for dealers.
  2. Dealers are consumers of products, not creators.
Auto Vendors create industry-specific solutions using products like AWS to create them. You're looking for an Automotive Digital Vendor Convention.

Hi ya Ben! LTNTT!
Here's my thinking...
  1. NADA is a show for dealers.
  2. Dealers are consumers of products, not creators.
Auto Vendors create industry-specific solutions using products like AWS to create them. You're looking for an Automotive Digital Vendor Convention.

To that point, FB and Google have both had presences at the Digital Dealer Shows the last couple years.

Reactions: joe.pistell
To that point, FB and Google have both had presences at the Digital Dealer Shows the last couple years.

No doubt that NADA is missing the technology ball. Digital Dealer is far better at it. And that sucks because NADA could be the one setting data standards and working with technology vendors to make better experiences for dealers.

I still think NADA should create an inventory data standard and work with the DMS companies to help them be less..... evil.

Reactions: joe.pistell
Alex, Joe, Alexander, and Dave,

Thank you very much for all the feedback. Alex, I think you're right, most often the answer to any business-related question is, "Because of money."

However, like Dave stated, these guys have had a presence at previous Digital Dealers and are very frequently brought in to speak at dealer meetings organized by the OEM. And, that was certainly weighing on my mind when I made this post.

While we're an agency that makes its money from working with these entities on our dealers' behalf, I also recognize that as dealer groups continue to grow in size some will internalize part (or a lot) of their digital marketing. Therefore, good access to these entities will be critical. NADA could be the start of building that relationship. I would like to think NADA would be pushing these guys hard to exhibit for that reason (aside from the revenue generated from their exhibiting). Maybe they have been and are?

Thanks again to you all for the great conversation!