• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Advice on Craigslist ad posting services

FULL DISCLOSURE: Press1toTalk.com sells a CraigsList posting service – so the info below is based on experience with our partners, dealers, listings and postings.

--
Craigslist is a huge search engine, and needs to be viewed as such. It is a great way to get local buyers in front of whatever product you are trying to sell. However, here are a few points to keep in mind:

1. Whatever service you use, or if you do it yourself, make sure your listings are text/copy heavy. (Read my point about a search engine above). People are rarely searching by just a make model ( nissan altima ) they are getting more specific in the words they type ( nissan altima black ) or ( nissan altima sunroof ). Try to stay away from “image only” ads or vendors that post image only ads, your ad might show up in a basic search, but will not on a longer keyword search – and these customers are the BUYERS!

2. Flagging and Ghosting – if you didn’t know there are two ways Craigslist combats spam. Craigslist ‘Ghosting’ is the term applied to when you make a post on Craigslist, and the system tells you that your post has been published but your post never appears on the front/search pages of Craigslist. The system gives you a post ID and a URL and you can see your post if you click the URL in the email, but unfortunately no one else will be able to see it because it will never appear on the front/search pages. Flagging is people/users actually clicking the little “flag” text/icon. To reduce the likelyhood of both try to limit the number of ads posted daily and the frequency in which the same ad is posted ( 1/7 of your total inventory a day seems to work best, AND delete the old ad before reposting it seven days later). Also update your templates if they are being flagged. Joe decided to go with a basic template in his market, and that worked for him! Experiment!

3. Track your hits (VDPs). If you do it yourself, this may be a little hard, if you use a vendor – make sure they can provide detailed listing VDP stats.

4. Follow the TOS – say it again – Follow the TOS – one more time – Follow the TOS. “terms of service” of “terms of use” – whether it is you or a vendor, make sure they follow the rules of the site (Craigslist, Backpage, etc)

5. Remove sold vehicles - It is important with respect to TOS to have only relevant data. And, your sales staff doesn’t waste time fielding calls for sold cars. (And, yes – I know this is debatable – I am in the camp to remove sold units)

6. Links to your site (trade app, finance form, more inventory) - these convert at a very high rate - why would you not link to your own site?

You are welcome to call me with any questions. Thanks!

Last edited:
I love trying new things out and have used a few different CL posting tools, both manual and automatic. Honestly, the Auto Posting tool that Homenet has is by far the best that I have had so far. Not only to they get your inventory listed, but you can see real time results and analytics.

Thanks for the warm welcome Autoarchitech.

I don't see where I tried to sell anything..just confirming that indeed Cargigi is the platform that powers the Homenet platform. The service is great because you can utilize video, chat, have links out to your website ect. 1/7th of your inventory is posted daily with a live market monitor to utilize and track CTR.

Here a an example of a posting

2007 Honda Accord 4 Door Sedan 3.0 EX

Being new to Dealer Refresh, I would welcome suggestions on navigating the site.

as mentioned a few times in this discussion... but thanks for making your first post here about selling something instead of adding to the conversation...

My thoughts exactly...

I use Cyberlead's posting tool.... I REAAALLY need to start tracking things better.. I like the looks of the cyberlead templates... But after reading this thread I feel like I need to closely inspect the postings to see if they are as search friendly as the basic postings I used to use.

And I certainly agree with what you said earlier concerning NEVER posting more than 15 ads a day... I would like to add that I have my assistant post 10 ads per day, always at different times... gotta shake the haters somehow!! :)

I signed up with CARgigi last month and I was completely blown away with the service they provide. 15 day free trail with no commitment or upfront payment info. They have a program that you can install on your machine to see who' s looking at your cars in real time. We have more click thurs and better quality leads from them than we do Autotrader.com or Cars.com. We sold 3 cars out of 15 on line submitted leads and 5 or 6 more came in to the dealership. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a listing company for craigslist. PM me and I'll send you my reps contact information.