• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

An analytics lesson from your elementary math teacher: Always Double-check Your Work.

kurbain

Rust & Dust
Jun 23, 2010
First Name
Katie
What would Mrs. Miller say if she saw most of us today? Would she be sorely disappointed that some of us abandoned the process of double-checking all that hard work? Would she grab us by the ear and walk us to the front of the class making an example out of us?

I don't know about you, but nightmares of that embarrassment keeps me on the straight and narrow in regards to doing my best and double checking it when I am done. In business the best way to begin checking your work is through Google Analytics and Webmasters Tools.

Just one scenario of analytics saving a website; we redesigned an entire dealership's homepage 10 days after we launched it, for a seemingly insignificant design choice. By watching where people clicked we found that from their perspective it was not clear that the Used Car link was indeed a link. By adjusting that feature we were able to get users to the used cars inventory as quickly as possible. Check your work, check it often, and fix it if it isn't working. Here's a small, slightly fuzzy clip [of Mitch] from an analytics discussion we had at Insights Group the other day.

How many clicks does it take to get to inventory on your dealership website?

Do you know how many leads your site generates, do you know how much traffic your site gets and where they are coming from, do you know how many people get to your site and bounce right out, do you know where you rank in a search engine, do you know if your site is optimized for Google keyword searches, do you know if people are finding what they came to your website for?

If the answer is no, we recommend you call your web provider and have a discussion about your Google Analytics and Web Masters Tools. You will want to watch both regularly, and look for areas of improvement. Happy Analyzing!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's super important to double, triple, and quadruple check your work. Sometimes, though things are going to slip through the cracks. (I think Michael Jackson calls this Human Nature).

That being said, I'm glad you were able to find that issue that was causing a lack of traffic and nipped it!