• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Appropriate salary for an internet manager?

thunder8671

Full Sticker + Prep
Aug 22, 2012
First Name
Marketing Manager
Hi guys I was on a website and I saw the following description:

INTERNET MANAGER

The ideal candidate will be skilled in Website Optimization, Mobile Apps, Email Campaigns, Social Media, and Web traffic building. Candidate will work closely with upper level management to increase sales, develop web content, and drive traffic to all dealership departments. *This is a position*that will require a hands on, take charge individual.

What do you think the approriate salary should be for someone who does this?

Depends on experience. There should never be a set rate, as there will never be that drive for the Internet Manager to strive to be better.

Pay should depend on experience, as well as production. His or her pay should be set to where it is not based just on gross profit, but, more geared towards unit volume. It wouldn't hurt to pay on back end.

The ideal candidate will be skilled in Website Optimization, Mobile Apps, Email Campaigns, Social Media, and Web traffic building. Candidate will work closely with upper level management to increase sales, develop web content, and drive traffic to all dealership departments.

Sounds like this is really a web marketing position more than sales. I always though the Internet Manager title at a dealership revolved more around sales than web marketing. But to answer your question, I think 45K - 55K sounds about right, and add on another 10K for metro markets.

Here we go again, once again Dealers appreciate who they have running their internet specially if they are good at their job because I bet they are under paid according to salary.com eCommerce Marketing Manager Salary - Salary.com here is the skinny.....

The median expected salary for a typical eCommerce Marketing Manager in the United States is $85,676. This basic market pricing report was prepared using our Certified Compensation Professionals' analysis of survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at employers of all sizes, industries and geographies.

Job Description for eCommerce Marketing Manager

Develops and implements the strategic online marketing plan for an organization. Stays abreast of changes in the online marketing environment to best serve the objectives of the organization and adjusts plans accordingly. May be responsible for overseeing other aspects of the website such as the advertising and content components. Requires a bachelor's degree with at least 7 years of marketing experience. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Leads and directs the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Typically reports to top management.

Alternate Job Titles: eCommerce Marketing Manager, E-Commerce Marketing Manager, Ecommerce Marketing Manager, Manager of E-Commerce Marketing, Electronic Commerce Marketing Manager

Categories: Internet and New Media, Marketing, Sales

The median expected salary for a typical eCommerce Marketing Manager in the United States is $85,676. This basic market pricing report was prepared using our Certified Compensation Professionals' analysis of survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at employers of all sizes, industries and geographies.

Here we go again, once again Dealers appreciate who they have running their internet specially if they are good at their job because I bet they are under paid according to salary.com eCommerce Marketing Manager Salary - Salary.com here is the skinny.....

Job Description for eCommerce Marketing Manager

Develops and implements the strategic online marketing plan for an organization. Stays abreast of changes in the online marketing environment to best serve the objectives of the organization and adjusts plans accordingly. May be responsible for overseeing other aspects of the website such as the advertising and content components. Requires a bachelor's degree with at least 7 years of marketing experience. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Leads and directs the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Typically reports to top management.

Alternate Job Titles: eCommerce Marketing Manager, E-Commerce Marketing Manager, Ecommerce Marketing Manager, Manager of E-Commerce Marketing, Electronic Commerce Marketing Manager

That really depends on numerous factors. Dealership? inventory? manufacturer? geographical region? lead count and staff you will manage? BDC dept or no BDC dept? However, most critical is what you will bring to the table as far as experience and expertise. A good ISM or Director is a person that has to wear multiple hats, but most important is that you are driving sales and keeping lead count, engagement rate and closing percentages within what their acceptable range is. If not, you wont be an Internet Manager for long.

They will get into pay structure details with you when they are ready to extend a job offer, but suffice to say that the variables at play here are far too vast to give you any kind of specific answer. I do, however, wish you the best of luck in your job pursuits :)

Last edited:
Trouble is finding a GREAT Closer, Trainer, Manager of people, Negotiator, Geek Squad, Details Oriented AND a gift for gab person! I dont get involved with ROI, Third Party, Pricing or any of the data entry BESIDES answering leads. I would laugh if I were offered 85k. Better double it and then some!

I hear ya Derek.

Reactions: dsflynn2000