• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Autotrader, Cars.com or KBB?

If I ever get back to New York, that would be my first stop. I would likely wear out my welcome.

Ryan, this is the premier website for those wanting to exchange ideas and learn how to improve their internet efforts at a dealership. To that end, you will not find the level of expertise, anywhere. I don't agree with everyone, even my friends.

You suggested cutting AutoTrader and Cars.com to replace with KBB. Maybe you might learn how to make them work.

DD, I don't mean to come off rude to Jerry and the forum but it is what it is. I am very thankful to have found this site and it will fuel my efforts moving ahead. It just strikes a nerve when someone assumes to know our business model when they couldn't be further from the truth. Our dealership group has been around for over 35 years and will continue on, TruCar or not. I by no means mean any disrespect. I learn as I go and will have ups and downs, trial and error. I hope to one day look back and say, "Man, remember when we were on TruCar? That was stupid!" Unfortunately today isn't that day.

You suggested cutting AutoTrader and Cars.com to replace with KBB. Maybe you might learn how to make them work.

That's just what it is, a suggestion. I haven't done anything yet. I came here asking for advice and it turned in to a Fox Internet Department bashing. Not what I was looking for.

I am really struggling with this as well. We have 6 stores all on Autotrader.com, 2 on Partnerships. First Look Max writes our comments, though we do add to them. We are usually 87-94% photos, so the marketing of our vehicles is pretty good.

We just don't get a lot of leads from AutoTrader.com and I do understand that it should be considered advertising, not a lead generator. However, our exit surveys are not showing a lot of ATC love either. We spend around $8k per month, I'm sure we would lose some sales per month, but I'm not sure we couldn't get those back spending our money a little wiser.

Reactions: 1 person
I am really struggling with this as well. We have 6 stores all on Autotrader.com, 2 on Partnerships. First Look Max writes our comments, though we do add to them. We are usually 87-94% photos, so the marketing of our vehicles is pretty good.

We just don't get a lot of leads from AutoTrader.com and I do understand that it should be considered advertising, not a lead generator. However, our exit surveys are not showing a lot of ATC love either. We spend around $8k per month, I'm sure we would lose some sales per month, but I'm not sure we couldn't get those back spending our money a little wiser.

This is what I'm saying. I'm just wondering if I can use that money for something that brings me a bigger ROI. And if moving up to a partner or Alpha will do that that I am open to that as well.

We have a very strong F&I department and we gross very well on every TruCar deal. It's not always about front end money it's about total profit. If this discontinues then we we look to get off. Until then I see no reason to. I have no problem paying TruCar 50K a month if it brings us $332K a month in return.

That won't be the case when TrueCar starts offering finance options and warranties. It's coming! I've done my due diligence. If more dealers are forced to start using TrueCar, it's only going to drive profits lower. You don't have much competition on TrueCar in your market, perhaps that will change soon enough. If TrueCar continues to grow, it's not going to be pretty for dealers. Once it's too big and customers have adopted the program, automotive eMarketing directors like yourself will be looking for new career opportunities.

By the way, I wasn't the one on here asking for advice in regards to dumping Auto Trader and Cars.com. Ask for advice and you're not always going to like what you hear. I don't dislike you and I am sorry if you took my previous comment as an insult. I do however dislike TrueCar and what it's attempting to do to the industry. TrueCar offers no value add to our industry. They are not doing anything different than a dealership could do on their own. I really hope you and your ownership will take a hard look at TrueCar and make the right decision before it's too late.

By the way, I use to work for John Holtz Honda in Rochester, so I am familiar with your market. Most of the Syracuse Honda dealers are asleep at the wheel. It wouldn't take much to dominate that market. When you type in Syracuse Honda dealers, look at who pops up with a strategically placed ad. I bet they sell more pre-ownded Honda's than all the Honda dealers in Syracuse combined.

Honda.jpg

You also may want to start working on your reputation management, 2.5 stars is not good!

Fox_Honda.jpg

Good luck!

Attachments

• Honda.jpg
    Honda.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1
Our Google reputation is a project that I am working on and I haven't gotten all parties on board yet. I need management buy-in on all these things and it just hasn't been there yet. Once they see the value in it as I have I hope their opinions change. It is something that needs to be at the forefront and it's not. This is not my fault. In regards to the paid advertisements, yes, you hit the nail on the head. This is the area I want to relocate those ATC and Cars.com funds and put them in Paid. I agree that Syracuse is a market that we can dominate. We do a good job at it now and it could be even better if we do that.

I do agree with you that TruCar is BAD for our industry. I do also realize that it may not be going away. Things change, not always for the better.

Once it's too big and customers have adopted the program, automotive eMarketing directors like yourself will be looking for new career opportunities.

I do enough other marketing for our dealerships not to have to worry about my job. I also manage 10 people and keep a department running smoothly. Managing a department has more to it than TruCar. I may have a lot to learn and i'm not too naive to say otherwise. Everyday is a challenge and I learn as I go.

Our Google reputation is a project that I am working on and I haven't gotten all parties on board yet. I need management buy-in on all these things and it just hasn't been there yet. Once they see the value in it as I have I hope their opinions change.

Don't take this the wrong way Ryan, but if you're struggling with getting "all parties" on board with reputation management, then getting them to understand the dangers of TrueCar may be an even tougher struggle.

This is the area I want to relocate those ATC and Cars.com funds and put them in Paid.

I would keep ATC and Cars.com. If I had to pick who to dump between ATC and Cars.com, it would probably be Cars.com. With the Cars.com/Yahoo relationship ending it will be interesting to see what happens with their traction. Take the money you're spending on TrueCar and allocate it on PPC.

Don't think for a minute that TrueCar is not looking to move up in SEO. I have already seen signs of this. Yahoo has some good rank on SEO and TrueCar is looking to take advantage of this, thus the reason they paid them all that money ($150 million over three years).

Thank you Jerry. I will look in to doing this. I apologize for going off. I put a lot of pressure on myself to choose the right vendors. Everyone comes to me and they have this to sell and that to sell. We guarantee this, that and the other thing! There is so much available and only so much to spend! I try to spend as best I can.