• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Beepi and Vroom and Carvana - will they make a DENT?

What are these progressive dealers doing that others aren't? If you think I am defending the status quo either I haven't communicated clearly enough or you haven't read my posts well enough. I just think it's funny that people think they have the answer to car sales not realizing dealers have done everything you have mentioned and more - and it hasn't made selling cars any easier. Many times the customer is the biggest barrier to an easy happy experience. You wouldn't understand without years of industry experience on the front lines though.

Last edited:
You stated a generalized opinion and I stated facts that refuted your generalization. I wasn't making a broad generalization, you were ;)
Time to go back to school if you don't understand the problems of antecdotal evidence and its inherent problems in using it for the basis of any opinion. Just because you don't science doesn't make you right, it just makes you uneducated.

But, I'll pose another question which I'm sure will go unanswered: where are all the bad dealer reviews? Sure, some dealers are bad, but this isn't the 70's anymore. Dealers need to adhere to a higher standard or die. Maybe in the Midwest you can get away with being bad with 100 miles between you and the next dealer, but in high population areas customers simply won't put up with it.

...But, I'll pose another question which I'm sure will go unanswered: where are all the bad dealer reviews? Sure, some dealers are bad, but this isn't the 70's anymore. Dealers need to adhere to a higher standard or die. Maybe in the Midwest you can get away with being bad with 100 miles between you and the next dealer, but in high population areas customers simply won't put up with it.
Where are all the bad dealer reviews? On Yelp Clay. On Yelp! ;-)

Time to go back to school if you don't understand the problems of antecdotal evidence and its inherent problems in using it for the basis of any opinion. Just because you don't science doesn't make you right, it just makes you uneducated.

I'm not going to gnash teeth with you. You think it's false rhetoric but I beg to differ.

Chris has been a member since 2011 - you've been a member since 2015. Be polite.

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/auto_digital_survey_2015_executive_summary.pdf

Of course, those same customers that say that don't follow-up on their "survey responses". The tools are out there already. People aren't using them. The same people that say that they would do an entire purchase online also say that they need to test drive a car before purchasing. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You ask for facts, but when presented with the facts you've decided to refute them with your opinions.
If you have data to back this up I'd like to see it. I am one of "the people" that want to buy my next car online without visiting a dealership.

Reactions: Chris Cachor
Chris has been a member since 2011 - you've been a member since 2015. Be polite.

This has nothing to do about being polite - it has to do with understanding rational logic in an objective discussion. If someone isn't educated enough to understand the problems with generalizing based on anecdotal evidence than they clearly cannot be objective. If they persist to push the issue that there is nothing wrong with their stance, then yes, they need to be reeducated. This is not impolite, it is the truth. The length of time on a forum has absolutely nothing to do with someone's objectivity and logic.

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/auto_digital_survey_2015_executive_summary.pdf
You ask for facts, but when presented with the facts you've decided to refute them with your opinions.
If you have data to back this up I'd like to see it. I am one of "the people" that want to buy my next car online without visiting a dealership.

I've come the conclusion that DealerRefresh probably isn't the forum for me. It appears to be more of a group of vendors that like to think they can change the car selling world without actually having any clue or having spent any time actually selling cars.

Sorry that I tried to offer insight into the actual world that these companies are trying to break into. But, having been in this business - specifically on the digital side for almost 8 years now - they aren't presenting anything new. It's all been done before - and failed. Because, selling cars isn't easy. Human beings are rationale agents. There are roadblocks to selling a car from the customer and the dealer side. Until a website can fully realize what people like Verde and Cardone have spent their lives teaching, then I don't think it will work. Because, I can show a customer a great price on a car they love - and that simply isn't enough to make a deal in many cases. If so - selling cars would be a lot easier. The order takers would sell more cars than the actual salespeople - and the market would look completely different.

So, adieu to you and all the vendors here that want to continue to think they can change the world. I wish you the best of luck - but I highly doubt you will find it is as easy as you make it seem.

Ciao! Time to find a forum with actual car people on it.