• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Best Camera for Online Photos

@Rich Goncal thanks for joining us. I hope you know you just opened up Pandora's box by asking Alex that question. LOL

I also wanted to to take the opportunity to point you in the direction of our custom search that could also connect you to several more relevant threads... http://dlrfr.sh/searchallofit

With the capabilities and quality of the cameras lens found on the latest smart phones, plus the convenience of connecting by wifi, is anyone using their iPhone or Android to take inventory photos?

What Pros or Cons should one consider if using their latest smart phone to take photos of their inventory?

There's also the Samsung Galaxy cameras. Anyone using one of these for inventory photos?

Thank you Jeff,

I am looking beyond smart phone cameras, I have used my iPhone before and while its pretty good its not what I'm looking for.
I will be sure to use the search feature in the future too, thanks for pointing that out...don't want to be that guy lol :)

:hello: and glad you found us.

Even though your scenario is a little different I think Sony now has something for everyone. Their mirrorless bodies are getting to be pretty amazing. So, what you're after is something that can handle low light and expose the shadows better. This is where Sony's processors really kick ass over just about everyone else! On top of that, the A6000 body is now a lot of bang for the buck with the recent price drops and it is only slightly larger than many point and shoots. The kit lens at 16-50mm should be all you need. With your lighting in place you only need a tripod and maybe a remote shutter release.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Sony&ci=16158&N=4288586281+4291215468

There are a number of Sony mirrorless options at that link. Any of them will work for any dealer. It is just a matter of whether you like to spend $600 or $3,000 for prestige purposes.

On a personal note, I can't tell you how many times I've debated with buying a Sony camera for my own photography hobby/addiction. If I weren't so heavily invested in Canon and didn't need the super fast autofocus for wildlife & sports shooting I'd have jumped on both the A6000 and A7 bodies by now. If you're a new photographer, without any glass investments, then Sony is the way to go.

Interesting, wasn't even thinking along the lines of a SONY, I will check them out, thank you for the advice!

Reactions: Alex Snyder
...On a personal note, I can't tell you how many times I've debated with buying a Sony camera for my own photography hobby/addiction. If I weren't so heavily invested in Canon and didn't need the super fast autofocus for wildlife & sports shooting I'd have jumped on both the A6000 and A7 bodies by now. If you're a new photographer, without any glass investments, then Sony is the way to go.

Alex have a photo addiction? Hmm... lets see

Here's a couple of pics from Alex's photo man cave
upload_2015-12-11_9-42-57.png

A friggin bazooka lens with camo
upload_2015-12-11_9-44-17.png

No, this ain't photoshopped.
upload_2015-12-11_9-45-46.png

Yup. Alex = Photo Addiction ;-)

Reactions: craigh and Stefan
I like the Canon SX series of point and shoots. The image quality is better than a standard P&S, it has a rotating, foldout rear LCD, which allows for different angle shots to be captured, and has a hot shoe for a larger flash, if the pop-up flash is not sufficient. The medium quality setting has given me no problems uploading to a variety of systems, and is the line of cameras I have been using for automotive photos for almost 10 years, since Nikon stopped making a similar style camera. They are relatively compact, under $500, and last around 1-2 years before constant photo shooting takes its toll on them.

Reactions: joe.pistell