• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Books that changed who you are

I am reading Reckless Endangerment How outsized Ambition, Greed, and Corruption led to Economic Armageddon by Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner. If you want some insights into what got us into the financial crisis of 2008 and beyond this will interest you. I don't recommend it for late night reading, it will thoroughly piss you off.

I'm reading something every day. Dale's books are a must read. Like most, I gave them away. My favorite will be an inheritance, my Bible. Absolute game changer.

A shout out to those of you "young and eagers" that have yet to find a book, who can't wait to be free from high school, are not college material and hate mundane work... I feel your pain. I have a life path for you to consider.

1st. Honor your passion.
2nd. Find a small business that is best in your town in what you love.
3rd. Go get a job there and take ANY position they offer.
4th. If they are truly the best of the best, and no job is open, hang out for weeks and become their smiling go'fer (attitude wins hearts)
5th. Keep your eyes wide open and learn from everything you see.

The lessons you'll learn from a winning organization you will find in no class, in no book.

You've abandoned the well worn path and chosen a long and difficult road that will reward you in years to come.

It's not for everyone, but it's worked for me.

HTH

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
The lessons you'll learn from a winning organization you will find in no class, in no book.
HTH

I firmly believe you can learn something from anyone. If you want a college level course in life, find you an old car guy. I'm not talking about some PHD, silver spoon. He needs to be crusty, like Joe. Invite him for a beer. Only say enough to spark a conversation and then listen.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to add a few that I've read lately that I like...

The Lean Startup Don't think, a book about how to start a business, but a book on how to operate efficiently, leverage every once you have more, how to wade through the fog of uncertainty and grow where others can't, and how to launch new ideas and fail then validate that failure by learning from it and trying again.

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion - Money!

MoneyBall -You can take something from the book, and it's a fun read! (no it's not like the movie)

Crucial Conversations - I've never dog eared so many pages of a book in my life. (what does that say about my communications skills) This book is great!

What a great topic! I'm a HUGE fan of The Catcher in the Rye for a Fiction Piece. I read it in High School and I remember I was quite awkward at the time. Reading about another awkward child helped.

Also, QBQ - learning about personal accountability has saved my professional life.

I've had Crucial Conversations on my shelf for a while... Thanks to Mitch, I'll have to dust it off.

If you haven't read Unbroken, it is definitely worth reading. A truly amazing real-life story that you won't believe you've never heard of before. You'll never look at forgiveness and humility the same the way again.