• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Carfax now competing with Cars.com & AutoTrader.com?

We just had a local rep stop by this week to try and get us on board with their used car listings. Has anyone been using them? I'd be interested in hearing some feedback on this

We heard the pitch early on, and the rate was something Autotrader-esque... we passed. A month or so later the rate dropped significantly so we decided to give it a try.

Zero play. We cancelled after a few short months. The audience just isn't there, and that's all that matters for classifieds.

Bumping this discussion. Anyone new to using CARFAX new(we) vehicle listing portal?

How's it working out for you?

They had a small announcement today -
Carfax has an expanded role in the GM Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program. Car buyers now get a free Carfax Report with every Buick, Chevrolet and GMC CPO vehicle. In addition, GM CPO vehicles are listed for sale on Carfax.com with the free Carfax Reports and the Carfax Snapshot tool has been added to the GM Certified website, gmcertified.com.

Isn't carfax so yesterday? I know their reporting is - being it takes 90 days for any updates. They spend millions of dollars on their image. Getting people to believe that they are gods gift to the people and industry. No wonder they are trying to suck dealers into buying ad space with them. Is this the company to take on the AutoTrader tactic? You need me to be in existence. Your leads will double!!!

Another big issue with carfax, too, trying to be a 'lead' source is the way it can devalue a perfectly good car. By that I mean a car with 2 or more owners that is in mint condition. The consumer might believe the car is not worth as much. I think it is best that they stick to the report, and invest money in having it updated more efficiently.

If CarFax puts just a little emphasis on actually driving leads and traffic for dealers, they could very quickly take major share from both AutoTrader and Cars.com. The strategy is not hard to implement and does not drive away site visitors. Moreover, it solves the "attribution" problem the other two are having with dealers today.

It was just a matter of time, IMO. Their name is so well dug into the automotive sales process, why not? As for competing with AutoTrader, Cars.com, Edmunds and KBB, well good luck. Although, take a look at your leads dealers, do the aforementioned really convert for you?

If CarFax puts just a little emphasis on actually driving leads and traffic for dealers, they could very quickly take major share from both AutoTrader and Cars.com. The strategy is not hard to implement and does not drive away site visitors. Moreover, it solves the "attribution" problem the other two are having with dealers today.
AutoTrader and Cars.com don't necessarily convert well. I have justifiable evidence to show this.

Only time will tell, Show me the right price...$139,995.00

carfaxfail-jpg.2040

carfaxprices-jpg.2041
@Manny, hello it's been a while and LMFAO! HAHAHHAA $140K, riiiiiiiiiiight....

Last week I posted Carfax Introduces "New" Used Car Listing Consumer Portal - over on the blog. I was surprised to see no comments.

I thought it was big news to see Carfax jump into the vehicle listings landscape, while going up against the likes of AutoTrader.com, Cars.com to compete for traffic and consumers searching for their next Used Car. Considering Carfax (and POLK) is now owned by IHS and could potentially take advantage of a wealth of data to help power and offer a different online shopping experience for the consumer.

Carfax has been somewhat quiet with a soft launch of the new listing website and service. However, when I asked how they planned to get the message out about their new listing portal then answered with... "We’re rolling out a national ad campaign in the coming months to help consumers find the right car with the right history for sale from dealers on Carfax Used Car Listings."

Is this big news or an I over exaggerating here?
Does Carfax have a chance here to stir up the market?

Could they become a real competitor to the other used car listing website?

Speak Up!!

carfax_listing_value-jpg.2038
Agreed, with being owned by IHS, wow that is pretty darn interesting and probably will give them a hyper competitive advantage when it comes to taking advantage of marketing data.