• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Carvana?? Who and What are they?

Hey guys, happy to see this on LinkedIn yesterday (thanks Ed). I appreciate the different perspectives on the our offering. I would like to bring some clarity to the discussion and clear up some perceptions about us. First, I can assure you Carvana is not a pop-up "agency" aimed to make promises to customers it cannot deliver on. We also do not wish to disparage good dealers or categorize all dealership experiences as negative. Our ads do however try to make light of some of the know stereotypes and pain points derived from customer feedback about traditional used car sales.

As for some of the other specific comments in the thread, we have entered into our third market in Charlotte as of the beginning of this month. We do in fact have the ability to save customers significant dollars when compared to a traditional dealerships infrastructure and cost base. We quantify those customer savings with fairly advanced analytics, some proprietary, others thanks to vAuto. If you look at our pricing, like Joe did early this year, you will find our cars are most often priced around $1500 less than the market. I would also offer in more competitive market dynamics with a used vehicle that has a limited supply and high demand that would require more flat pricing compared to the rest of the market when you weigh Carvana's guarantee of accident free vehicle history, 150 pt vehicle certification, extensive reconditioning, and 7 day return policy the value offer is pretty compelling.

Again, glad to be a part of the discussion. Look forward to your responses.

Reactions: 3 people
My mindset and thought process always comes from a dealership operations perspective (having been a GM/exec mgr) and revenue growth. I was listening to Mitch Joel's podcast the other day where he was interviewing Jeremiah Owyang Web Strategy by Jeremiah Owyang | Digital Business | Jeremiah Owyang discusses how technology enables companies to connect with customers and they were talking about the collaborative economy. Jeremiah said that any industry where you find distrust and hatred is ripe for disruption. Cable companies, insurance companies and the retail car industry are those such industries.

Expect more of this. Wake up and innovate.

Here's a link to the podcast if you want to listen: SPOS #424 - The Efficiency Of Brands With Jeremiah Owyang | Six Pixels of Separation - Marketing and Communications Podcast - By Mitch Joel at Twist Image

...Jeremiah said that any industry where you find distrust and hatred is ripe for disruption. Cable companies, insurance companies and the retail car industry are those such industries.

Expect more of this. Wake up and innovate.

I'm all for innovating, but...

If shoppers were convinced that dealers are out to fleece them, then:
...why did eBay Motors fail?
...why is Shop-Click-Drive not lighting up the world?

Sorry, a decade in the trenches taught me that THEY WANT TO NEGOTIATE. Actually, those that don't want to negotiate are more worried about FAILING than negotiating.

Old DR post: Evil Dealers and the Slaughter of the Innocents

"Confession:
I am rather new to this biz (2002) and when I got an offer to become the marketing director for a local Chevy Store, I pushed back on the offer. What would I tell my friends?… What would they say? “Look at Joe, he’s stepped down to working for a car dealer, the poor guy.”

Conclusion:
"all dealers are evil" is an urban legend (and it's this urban legend that Carvana is preying on)

Interesting comments, I wish I could see the rest of David's thoughts about how his home purchase translates to perception management. Which, if read carefully, sounds a lot like manipulation.

Not sure what to make of the mention of our parent company. Seems more like mudslinging than a true attempt to uncover who our company is at it's core.

If you really want to know if customers like getting what they want check out our customer reviews.

Interesting comments, I wish I could see the rest of David's thoughts about how his home purchase translates to perception management. Which, if read carefully, sounds a lot like manipulation.

Not sure what to make of the mention of our parent company. Seems more like mudslinging than a true attempt to uncover who our company is at it's core.

If you really want to know if customers like getting what they want check out our customer reviews.
Mr. Ruggles sometimes rambles - if you want to join THAT discussion it's on Facebook in the Carbucks Group.

"David Ruggles When did we ever sell cars and make gross by giving consumers what they want? Its perception as always. Carvana is a joint venture with DriveTime, if that tells you anything. I just bought a house, and they didn't do it the way I wanted it. In fact, any offers had to be accompanied by an EMD. That's "Earnest Money Deposit." I wanted to talk directly to the seller. Nope. Had to go through the agents. I could have paid the asking price but preferred the angst of negotiation. I could have had a stress free experience had I just paid the asking price. Some dealerships want to send the negotiators down the road and just book the easy deals. More power to them." - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Carbucks/

Was chatting with @JoePistell who informed me of some user tests we did on Carvana's website. I won't get into all the details, but an interesting note was that almost all people were completely blown away by the photos of damages to the car. They weren't running from those cars; they were even more interested in them!

The perception is they're getting a great deal because it has something wrong with it? Something that they can get fixed.

They liked the honesty and transparency.

From what Joe was telling me people had a little bit of a struggle trying to use some of the technology on the site and didn't like the fact that you can't test drive. However, their perceptions toward Carvana completely shifted upon finding images of *minor* damages (scratches, dents, etc) to a vehicle clearly defined and detailed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ed.brooks