• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Copyblogger leaves Facebook

I keep seeing this type of rationale coming through and I couldn't be happier about it.

That said, there are some real studies that show real results.
Shopify claims that industries like Photography, Sports & Rec, Pet Supplies, Jewelry, etc are getting over 90% of their social media orders from Facebook. The remaining percentage belongs to Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Vimeo, etc.

I often find myself believing that Facebook doesn't convert, because I'm often having those conversations when it comes to dealerships and selling large things like cars. Then I lean back and I realize that the last $3000 I spent on car parts all came from Facebook posts where I saw the part release, photos of it on a car, dyno sheets, etc. As much as I hate to admit it, it does work for smaller purchases.

I agree with all the points in the article - they're valid and make perfect sense for them to do.
I'm not sure what dealerships can learn from this, but I can tell you that I believe dealers have quite a bit to learn about using Facebook to connect with customers.

My thoughts in a nutshell:

1. There's a good chance a good portion of your Facebook fans are already customers
  2. Selling something worth $30,000 (a car) on Facebook is not the same as selling something worth $300 (tint, 3M body guard, etc)
  3. Diluting your content with scheduled posts, less-than-exciting posts, etc is a terrible strategy. Keep to the things that matter.
  4. Post visiblity for pages is on a downward slope. Facebook has made it easier than ever for people to "like" you but never see anything you post

After reading copy bloggers reason to exit Facebook - read this – What Copyblogger Could Have Done With Its Facebook Page - Jon Loomer Digital You may have to try the link a few times as it seems his server can't handle the load of traffic he is receiving to this website in regards to this post. Whether you agree or not, John really breaks it down on what copyblogger could have potentially done with their Facebook page. Either way it's extremely educational post.

Having been a long time reader of Brian Clark since he started copyblogger and understanding their philosophy and marketing principles, I would bet this was a marketing ploy to gain a shit load of attention. The traffic, branding, and revenue that will be generated from this announcement will probably make up for any lost revenue they could've potentially made on Facebook.

This could be viewed as a good example of a strong brand and company that makes enough revenue that they have the ability to get away with such a perceived bold move. Much like a large dealer group or dealership that has a strong brand within the region where they too can make moves against the perceived norms.

Reactions: 1 person