• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cox Automotive to buy Dealertrack in $4 bln all-cash deal

Guys, Let's get our Egg Timers out and see how long it takes for a price increase to get rolled out. With the KBB acquisition, for us it took about 6 -7 months. Basically it was to the extent "hey, we added a new dealer page to your account. Also, here's your new pricing for the KBB product. Since you are currently on product A, B and C. We'll give you first right of refusal. By the way you have until the end of the week to decide! I know it's Wednesday. Sorry!"
Well, thank you sir... May I have another!!!!

Sorry for mis-speaking about Dealer Rater. I should have said Partnership :) Actually, I never should have brought up Dealer Rater at all.

Guys.... I can see the Dealer.com website packages now. ALPHA, Premium, Premium Featured, Featured Plus.
Just so everyone knows, when they roll out the Dealer.com ALPHA package in my area, I've got first dibs!!!! ROFLOL

It's been a long day folks.

On a serious note, I would like to get your opinions on what you think will happen with the CarGuru's partnership with DDC. CarGuru's is a direct competitor with AT. Personally, I see that one falling to the wayside. I wouldn't think they would use a brand they own to power a competitors website.

As far as the integration goes. It would be a difficult task but look at the VAuto tool and the amount of data that resides in it from all the vendors associated with Cox. How about Vin Solutions and the amount of integration they have going on. I personally don't think it's that far out of their grasp. I think in the months to come, your going to see additional reporting from AT that will connect the dots between AT,KBB and the DDC websites which in turn they will probably use to justify another price increase of some sorts. The Marketing Assist AT is providing the dealer (that would be a good report but not at the expense of a rate increase).

For me at the end of the day, I don't want them to dissect and break apart all these products into packages like they have done with AT and KBB. It seems like every year they are rolling out some BS package or Banner ad or something to drain more money out of the dealers. They pump it up and dress it up like it's some great new thing but at the end of the day, It's just a new product for their reps to sale and generate more money and revenue for their company.

Who knows what will come of it.

I know it's late and I'm tired.

I think I see this whole thing completely different. Software is only part of it. But when you add in things like readysetcar.com that Cox just launched. It's not so much the software as much as they now have an entire organization that owns the used car business.

Think about it.

1. Manheim - with Retail Ready now is doing the recon on vehicles
2. Homenet - Inventory Management to manage all the cars and use sandlot to photograph them
3. Vauto - Price adjustments based on market and scarcity
4. KBB - Controls the price customers think their cars are worth
5. Autotrader - Customer facing listing site
6. Heystack - Marketing and websites to promote their listings
7. Dealertrack - CRM and DMS data (including current customer data and financials)

Welcome to, Cox Automotive Presents Your Used Car Department.

I don't see them cutting out the dealers. I do see them cutting the process for the customer at the dealership.

I see a full Digital Retailing Suite coming to an AutoTrader and KBB page near you in the near future That's powered by DealerTrack and will probably will have a hint of Trade In Market place (TIM) thrown in there somewhere. All this bundled up in another package they can sign dealers up on. Customers can go to AT or KBB and structure the loan, get a guaranteed trade in offer and basically do everything on those two sites they would need to do prior to stepping foot into a dealership.All they need to do next is drop off their trade in and pick up the new vehicle at the dealers lot and sign paperwork. Everything else has been done online via AT or KBB.

@JessicaRuth A new landscape because of the possibilities and integrations with Cox/DT for dealers benefit which is exciting. Plus look at it this way, Cox was not in the DMS or website game really, now they are overnight and they've eclipsed ADP/CDK in my opinion.

The other view is the concern over price hikes, as most everyone else that has chimed in here they own the market now. If they want to raise prices what are we going to do about it? Nothing. You can either stay with them or look for other alternatives which probably aren't the best.

You have to give them credit though, they are masters of business. I hope they can help dealers more than fleece them for profits, I guess time will tell. I have to believe right now that they will do the right thing, hopefully the DDC culture will overwhelm them.

You guys do realize quite a few DealerRefreshers are going to become Cox Automotive employees soon. Due to the acquisition involving a publicly traded company there isn't much that can be said yet. However, I can assure you we'll do our best to help explain the landscape once we can.

I was waiting for someone to point this out. I'm really hoping that transition is smooth and I certainly hope it doesn't change the open communication here on the forums.