Welcome to DealerRefresh Forums!

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking thelink above. You may have to Register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Craigslist change... Have you been affected

Discussion in 'Online Dealership Marketing Support & Best Practic' started by flosho, Apr 25, 2011.

1. flosho

flosho Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with their software posting to CL. Apparently last Friday CL made some significant changes to their system that has stopped the use of posting software, for now.

Any input, guys or gals?
  2. Will Fox

Will Fox New Member

First Name:
    Will
    I submit via vauto so no real changes. It appears to be quicker though.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ECURB

ECURB New Member

First Name:
    Bruce
    Looks like Cargigi glitched on Friday... but all is well again.
  4. Billfred

Billfred New Member

First Name:
    Billfred
    Twitter:
    WmLeverette
    We use eBizAutos' copy-and-paste Craigslist system, so the only change was in the method of starting the post. I used to be able to use a bookmark to jump straight to the posting page for Cars and Trucks - By Dealer, but now I have to start at the account page and click through a few extra layers. A little tedious, but it's all good...it's greatly reduced the number of posting-too-fast errors!
  5. flosho

flosho Member

First Name:
    Jason
    I've been using AutoRevo but they are still not back up to speed...

vAuto keeps calling my name..
  6. higherturnover

higherturnover New Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Twitter:
    HigherTurnover
    I heard about quite a few posting tools having problems since the changes last week. Most of the auto-posting tools violate the CL terms of use, which I assume is why they made their changes. This is precisely the reason we handle CL the way we do, with the copy/paste method rather than auto-posting. It's within the CL terms of use and although it may take 10 seconds longer than an auto-poster, we don't have to explain to our clients why our tool doesn't work right now, because it does. I suspect more of our competitors will revert back to the way we're doing things, because CL will continuously try to prevent people from taking shortcuts with auto-posters, and from a development standpoint, it's much better to stick with a way that works (and is OK by CL) than to keep up the cat-and-mouse stuff.

Jake

Higher Turnover Websites
    Specializing in Independent Dealers
    Website Development, Craigslist Posting Tools, Inventory Management, Data Distribution
  7. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    Jake - I know this is waaaaay off topic, but when I see higher turnover I think of "turnover" in regards to employment. I know that's not what is meant, but that's all I can think of. It is kind of ironic in regards to the industry you serve :lol:
  8. Jim M. Gillen III

Jim M. Gillen III New Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Curious to know how many PVA's other dealers are having to use in order to post their entire inventory. I've always been under the impression that more is better, but obviouosly limited total of phone numbers comes into play. It seems like after 20 postings the show rate begins to decrease, and for a dealer thats trying to post their inventory of over 100 cars, it seems like having 5 PVA's or more would be more effective.
    Does anyone out there share this same opinion?
    1 person likes this.
  9. stevenwarrensr

stevenwarrensr New Member

First Name:
    Steven
    I do notice when CL is doing a lot of maintenance that Ghosting and the amount of time that it takes for ads actually go live increases dramatically. Also during Peek times on CL there servers do run slower which causes Delays. Having a fast and effective tool helps!
  10. Brian Podolak

Brian Podolak New Member

First Name:
    Brian
    If your Ip is fine, you will be ok with 1 PVA and 250 cars....If you get stuck PM or call me anytime
  11. stevenwarrensr

First Name:
    Steven
    So you are posting on one account 250 per day or that's how much you are putting on 1 pva period? I have been able to put up to 500 per day with no issues but still using the 1 ip. I think keeping the PVA on the same IP is key to keeping the PVA Strong. My 2 cents.
  12. Brian Podolak

Brian Podolak New Member

First Name:
    Brian
    100% correct...but how long did it take you to post the 500 cars? Is why we do 250 per ip /pva, for speed.

Ip = PVA is important.
  13. stevenwarrensr

First Name:
    Steven

In 12 hours I can get up 598 postings with a 98% show rate but again that's with 1 PC and 1 Verified account.... :lol::lol:
  14. flosho

flosho Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Are you using Clad genius?
  15. yagoparamo

yagoparamo Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Yago
    Twitter:
    yagoparamo
    Clad Genius is an autoposter. Autoposters not only violate the TOU but also do that by using a software to break the security measured that CL has in place. That is commonly referred as hacking.

Everything we do is done manually. We just created a tool and makes the process as easy as humanly possible.
  16. eag818

eag818 New Member

First Name:
    Hubert Cumberdale
    Change it up every week you guys

That means, for every posting blast you guys do, make it COMPLETELY different from the last. Seller's Comments in text? MAKE AN IMAGE AD. Link back to your site to lock in that first party traffic. Change the titles, use arrows and other symbols. Some blasts, just have the Year Make Model as the title. Reduce the price down a dollar.

For two years we've been posting 150+ ads every week with our ~100 cars we only have, on one PVA and one email address. We've been ghosted, similar posting, etc, but have never been blacklisted. We're on a static IP. We do not, however, post in multiple cities, only the one we're in.

How often do you get the PVA screen on the same account? I notice we do ONLY when there's word-for-word text in other ads we've posted. ERASE THAT TEXT.

Use a different 800 number.
    Use a different outbound link to a different page or domain of your site.
    Upload images manually to the system OR change the imgsrc of where youre getting your photos from.

So many ideas to use, we post ads via Homenet one week, CarsForSale.com the next, DealerSyndicator the next, and manually the last week.
  17. yagoparamo

First Name:
    Yago
    Twitter:
    yagoparamo
    Yes, we have a very-very flexible tool. Nothing like those 3 you use...
  18. Jim M. Gillen III

Jim M. Gillen III New Member

First Name:
    Jim
    <br><br>That seems like a lot of work to post 150+ cars a week. The cost of using 3 companies, and the process you're putting yourself through to post such a small number of ads per week doesn't seem worth it. Especially if you're paying to use 3 tools but only use them about once week a month. Granted yes, this strategy works, but you must spend a lot of time and money doing it this way.<br><br>Would you be willing to learn more about a tool that's much easier to use, is affordable, can get you exposure in other areas, and can offer you the same options without putting you through all the trouble?<br><br>
  19. kcar

kcar New Member

First Name:
    B
    Very happy with the new changes makes manual posting easier for those who take pride in doing it the right way. I'll be happier once the automatic software fade dies out and gets blocked all together. So annoyed seeing dealerships post 200+ ads for their cars with a horrible template, no photos, spam-like headlines with all caps and !*, etc. But in reality Craiglist, isn't not very effective in making sales. I've posted over 1200+ inventory car ads for a week on Craigslist and the results aren't very impressive. Also to those who do use Craiglist, and are tracking it, tell me how many cars you're selling off it, because I'm willing to bet they are not moving much off it. When done right I can move a small amount but it's nothing impressive or worthwhile.
  20. yagoparamo

First Name:
    Yago
    Twitter:
    yagoparamo

CL will never block the automated postings, those people have already chosen to break the rules and they will find ways to do it. That being said, I dont condone it. The problem is that the people affected are the regular guys trying to post a few untis that now require a huge set up to acomplish. I feel bad for some of my older (in age) clients and how the struggle to get ti done since it is now very complicated.

Also, Craigslist is not about your pride nor about how you think things should be posted (that is the point of CL). everyone should post however they want to post and let customers decide which ones they like and which ones they want to call. You can keep your pride up in the meantime...

OK... right... I will say that CL effectiveness totally depends on where you are located BUT in WA selles as many or more as Autotrader.com, cars.com, or any other digital program. All top 20 dealers in used car sales in WA are on CL, with some of them claiming that 50% of their sales come from it.
    1 person likes this.